Help With Balcony Decking Problem - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2015, 10:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 105

Help with Balcony decking problem

Background:
The plan was to have pine t & g decking on the balcony. The porch was supposed to be sloped and I was advised by this board to put down EPDM. Then i was told to run the decking on sleepers that were not to be nailed! However, I recently noticed some low spots holding water. Recently I have been trying to work out issues that have come up.

1. The floor is not a constant slope like it should be. While it is lower at the edge than at the end there is a bit of a valley in between several places that holds water. Do I just shim up the middle sleepers somehow so the decking on top can keep a slope?

2. I was told if i put the t&g floor too tight it would buckle. But if I do not put it tight the water will get through and be trapped underneath? Is this going to be a big problem?

3. Also even if it were a really good slope the sleepers would block it from draining?
Attached Thumbnails
Help with Balcony decking problem-upstairs-porch-5-27-14.jpg   Help with Balcony decking problem-img_0851.jpg   Help with Balcony decking problem-img_0847.jpg  

Advertisement

vettegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:25 PM   #2
General contractor/carpen

Rewards Points: 14

Well even if it did drain, I don't think I would want to use pine. It's really not good with any moisture.

Advertisement

Californiadecks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
Well even if it did drain, I don't think I would want to use pine. It's really not good with any moisture.
It is treated pine.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:13 PM   #4
General contractor/carpen

Rewards Points: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettegc View Post
It is treated pine.
Sorry I missed that.
Californiadecks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,902

Vette,

I have no idea how this setup is gonna work. Why do you have plywood on the porch in the first place? It's not gonna drain or dryout. Then you're gonna cover it with sleeper, which will hold more water and trap everything in by covering it with planks. It's not gonna work.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
Californiadecks (03-02-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 08:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Vette,

I have no idea how this setup is gonna work. Why do you have plywood on the porch in the first place? It's not gonna drain or dryout. Then you're gonna cover it with sleeper, which will hold more water and trap everything in by covering it with planks. It's not gonna work.

Jaz
This is suppose to be similar to many of the southern plantation homes. There is a balcony with a finished ceiling underneath. I do not know how those places do it. I was advises to put down the EPDM rubber for this reason. It is supposed to protect the plywood and ceiling underneath. But I dont like the idea of the water just sitting on the epdm.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:58 PM   #7
Tileguy

It could work if it was built correctly, but this one isn't.

Looks like the width is about 8' or so. You need min. 2" and preferably more slope. The membrane woulda been flashed up the siding too. Looks like it's too late cuz in pic #2 the siding appears to be installed already. (maybe not).

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:26 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,770

Jaz man brings up some good points .If it was built properly it could work.the sleepers the way you have them will keep water on the deck.No scuppers for the water to go anywhere if it had a way to make it to the edge.The joist may have not been crowned correctly?Not enough slope?
Beautiful home and I love the style .Hope you find the answer.Just to much to figure out on the internet from pictures.One things for sure.When taking advice on the internet forums,you get what you pay for.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:56 AM   #9

I think the slope is about 2 inches. I believe it would be enough if it wasn't for the little valleys in between the front and back of the porch. I think I will turn the bottom sleepers the other way (perpendicular to the house) and have a second row of sleepers on top going parallel to the house. That way my deck can be running out towards the balcony and hopefully most of the water drains off the decking.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:59 PM   #10
Tileguy

Quote:
I think the slope is about 2 inches.
2" in how long a span?

Quote:
I believe it would be enough if it wasn't for the little valleys
That's right. So how are you gonna fix that?

You're still avoiding how you plan to waterproof it so the ceiling below doesn't get wet, plus it'll never dry cuz you're trapping the moisture between the layers.

Had you ever considered a tiled porch instead?

Jaz

Old 03-05-2015, 09:12 PM   #11

I would be relying on the rubber to do its job. It is not all like that. Maybe I can build up those low spots with something? Maybe add some pieces of rubber in the low spots?

I would rather not do tile. It is suppose to be like an old plantation look.

Last edited by vettegc; 03-05-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:58 PM   #12
Tileguy

You need a continuous slope AND the membrane must be flashed up the walls. You also need to consider the drip edge and not have a cavity which will rot the top boards.

Sorry, but you keep avoiding the flashing and cavity issues.

The balcony in question is the upper right?

Jaz

Old 03-09-2015, 05:04 PM   #13

Yes it is a upper balcony.

There is flashing up the walls but the rubber was on top unfortunately. I was thinking about getting some epdm tape and running it along the overlapped part. It is 10 foot in so I am not sure if there will be much of a chance of water getting there.

I do not know what to do about the cavity. Can I build up the low spot with something? do you think much water will get under the t&g?
Old 03-09-2015, 06:03 PM   #14
Tileguy

I have no idea how it would be possible to waterproof a wood balcony so water doesn't drip to the ceiling below.

Jaz

Old 03-23-2015, 11:57 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 232

Here's a third floor balcony under construction & a close up of the support method. The sleepers are on plastic supports that allow water drainage, the surface boards will be fixed with ss screws so the boards could be removed fairly easily should access to the membrane ( mod bit in this case) be required. More info: http://www.urbanbuildingproducts.com/JoistJak.html http://www.vikingroofspec.co.nz/cata...jack-pedestals
www.nurajack.co.nz/nurajacks.html
Attached Thumbnails
Help with Balcony decking problem-2015-03-23_14-19-40_296-edited-resized.jpg   Help with Balcony decking problem-dsc04891.jpg  

Advertisement

mgp roofing is offline   Reply With Quote