Height Differences And Transitons? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Height differences and transitons?

I'm new and don't know what is the best approach to my flooring project. Need some advice please.

My plan is to replace the carpet and vinyl flooring on top-level of home with laminate (in bedrooms and hallway) and tile (in bathroom). The hallway and three bedrooms currently have carpet and bathroom has vinyl flooring. The carpet sits on top of subfloor where as the vinyl is adhered to 1/4" ply which is fixed (glued or glued and nailed?) on top of subfloor. Therefore, the bathroom floor is sitting higher the rest. I've removed the carpet from adjoining rooms. (see attached "bathroom_transition_before.JPG" and "bathroom_transition_after.JPG")

I've been told by folks at Home Depot that I should be able to tile on top of the existing vinyl so as to avoid trying to remove the vinyl and 1/4" ply which sounds difficult assuming the bathroom vanity is sitting on top of vinyl and 1/4" ply. See ("bathroom_vanity.JPG"). It also creates a potential problem of a large difference in height between rooms.

What are my options? Perhaps, better yet, what is the right way of replacing the bathroom flooring with tile to ensure a manageable transition? Does the "right way" entail removing the vanity all together and then removing the 1/4" ply and vinyl? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Height differences and transitons?-bathroom_transition_before.jpg   Height differences and transitons?-bathroom_transition_after.jpg   Height differences and transitons?-bathroom_vanity.jpg  

Advertisement

henlij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,324

Are you talking about ceramic tile? If so, take up the vinyl.

Advertisement

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Are you talking about ceramic tile? If so, take up the vinyl.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, ceramic tile. Taking up the vinyl and 1/4" ply would involve removing the vanity, correct? Not sure how I could "cut" around it. Perhaps removing the vanity wouldn't be as bad as I think....
henlij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:59 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Toe Kick Saw. Google it. You may be able to rent one from a Big Box Store. The vanity may not be on top of the 1/4" underlayment. I was most likely installed by the vinyl installer after the vanity was installed.

Last edited by Tony H; 12-17-2010 at 02:01 AM.
Tony H is offline   Reply With Quote