Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #1

Share |

Heated Flooring Bathroom

I'm remodeling our master bath. I'm plan on tiling the floor, and installing electric heat. Someone suggested installing aluminum flashing on top of the wood subfloor first, then the heating wire, then self leveling mortar. They claimed the reflective flashing would direct the heat waves upwards, thus improving overall effectiveness. Does anyone have any thoughts on doing this. Will it help?

jibennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #2

Heated Flooring Bathroom

I might be wrong, never having done this myself, but ive seen several of these floors installed and ive never seen any type of flashing used. Even one that was installed under a concrete slab didnt use flashing. The leveling mortar, yes. Someone else may know more than i do but ive never heard of it.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #3

Heated Flooring Bathroom

Aluminum is a conductor. It will absorb the heat from the coils and spread out the heat evenly across the floor.
toluene_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #4

Heated Flooring Bathroom

done a few of them, all we ever do is prep the floor as normal with hardibacker.
lay out the mat and thinset over it.
Obviously this creates a lump in the middle of the floor, will need to float it out and minimize it, let it dry overnight.
When you thinset for the tile, will further minimize it, and when done will not know it is there.

Be sure to read the instructions for trimming the mat and the wiring. You will need two pvc pipe in the wall to the T-stat. Will have a 90 degree elbow on the end to turn it at floor level. Be sure to make it flush or cut it flush with finished wall before running the wires through, base board will cover it.
The wires are small and will easily fit in one conduit, but the t-stat wire will not work correctly if you run in same tube as voltage wire.

But they seem to work pretty good and have gotten all positive feedback from customers with them.