Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #1

Share |

hazy scratches on poly finished wood

Hi guys, I have a question about repairing this finish on a very very old wood floor.

As you can see in the pictures, something was dragged across the floor that left a very long (all the way out the door) streak across the polyurethane finish. The previous owner had left a can of the poly in the basement so i'm able to identify it as Olympic Poly Premium Interior Water Based Clear Semi-Gloss. It feels like there's at least a 1/4th of it left in the can.

The scratch on the floor doesnt seem to reach into the wood at any point, it seems to have just affected the "clear coat".

Two questions/solutions --

1) What is the correct way to fix JUST this scratch?

or-- is it a better idea to:

2) Since there are many other more minor artifacts in the poly-coat, AND I have to sand/stain areas where radiators have been removed, would it be sensible to "take a layer" of the poly off and redo the entire floor. How would I take a layer off the poly in the already 'finished areas.

I think what I'm basically asking is, how can I re-finish the whole floor without having to re-stain what is already stained. I just want to sand/stain the unished portions then figure out a way to re-finish the entire thing with poly while removing scratches.

PS. Can anyone identify the wood species from the piece I sanded down? As far as I know these are original floors in a house built in 1901. The radiators were removed recently and I soffited in the new venting. But now I need to turn my attention to the floor which is now exposed with 100+ yrs of crap.

fourx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #2

Those floors look like they could use a complete refinishing,and the patch needs to be redone as it's a pretty sorry job,as to the wood species it looks like pine to me.

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
joecaption (11-17-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #3

The floor looks like pine of fir. You can check out my how to article on how to recoat wood floors here How to Recoat (Sandless Refinish) Hardwood Floors. This will remove the scratch you want fixed.
Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies guys --

Canarywood: agreed that the patch is awful, I wish whoever did it could have at least used the same width planks and a closer matched grain. Oddly enough, the relatively poor condition of the floor and shoddy patchwork really match the restoration hardware furniture we own and the rustic-modern look we have going on.

Awoodfloorguy: thanks for that link, i'll look into using that method at the very least to rid myself of the shallow rubs/scratches.
fourx is offline   Reply With Quote