Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2008, 12:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Hazy dusty look on hardwood floor

I just installed a hardwood floor (using that expression liberally)....I used a soft wood (pine)....pre-treated before the stain....used Minwax Stain...cherry color...

I HATE the color....it is too dark...(I tested a board prior to application of the stain....I did not realize that dark stains would enhance every blimish of the wood......however.....I guess I will learn to live with it)

My problem...is that some sort of gray haze has crept up in arbitrary places on the floor.....it is totally unacceptable....however...I have no idea WHAT it is....or how I might get rid of it??

Does anyone know if
1. It would be possible to lighten the floor by applying a lighter colored stain over the Cherry stain...(I know this sounds stupid...however...I read it on another site)
2. What would happen if I sanded parts of the floor which look really bad....and restained them...
3. What on earth causes the gray haze..and is there anyway to get rid of it???
Thanks for your help
Leigh

lleegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:54 AM   #2
Be green & save green

sounds like you need to sand the whole floor and start again. not sure about the gray haze but it could be dust or maybe something is wrong with the stain.

mgsproperties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
Get out of the box!

Rewards Points: 250

It is moisture in the wood, did you check the moisture content before installing and staining?
26yrsinflooring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:34 PM   #4

No I did not check the moisture...I actually dont know anything about installing hardwood floors (is this obvious??heh)...It was a project that started as something simple...and then progressed to something much more complicated.....The wood had been in this room for about 6 months before I even began installing it. I am in Alabama however..and you can cut the humidity here with a knife.

Is there anything that I can do?....should do?....What will happen if I proceed with the current situation?..

Thank you so much for your time.
Leigh
lleegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:04 AM   #5
Flooring Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lleegle View Post
No I did not check the moisture...I actually dont know anything about installing hardwood floors (is this obvious??heh)...It was a project that started as something simple...and then progressed to something much more complicated.....The wood had been in this room for about 6 months before I even began installing it. I am in Alabama however..and you can cut the humidity here with a knife.

Is there anything that I can do?....should do?....What will happen if I proceed with the current situation?..

Thank you so much for your time.
Leigh
How exactly did you apply the stain? If you used a brush, the haze you are looking at could be from uneven brush strokes.

If I were you, I'd seek the advice of a local hardwood professional. Sometimes, it's worth the money to have the job done right the first time. Some projects are just too much for DIY'ers.
iFloorBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardwood, lighten, stain