Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hardwood water damage: source eliminated - what now?

Hi all,

We installed prefinished floor about 18 months ago. Recently we had a leak, and by the time we noticed, a few long boards have warped. It is noticable, certainly I would expect it to be noticed by future buyers.

I have a few questions about what should happen next.

The source of the leak has been eliminated now. Is it possible that the wood will come down somewhat, as it dries? It is warped, but hasn't popped out. Is there anything we can do to help it dry better? The floor is over the garage, the roof of which was leaking as well.

Should we open the garage ceiling to assess the damage and possibly fix it?

We have some boards left over from the original installation, so hopefully we can use them if we decide to replace. Will the difference between old and new boards disappear eventually, say within a year? The area gets significant sunshine, and the existing wood has probably burned in as much as it can by now, and I'm hoping that new one (from the same batch) will be the same color within a year.

Any other ideas/suggestions/info that you can share would be very appreciated! Thank you.

maximizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:39 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Hardwood water damage: source eliminated - what now?

If you have fixed the water leak, I don't understand what opening up the garage ceiling has to do with fixing the cupped floor. I see two options. First, a flooring installer can remove the damaged boards and replace with some of the extras you have. Secondly, if this only one room of flooring, I would see how much it costs to have the floor sanded and refinished, compared to the cost of changing out the bad boards. This is assumming that by "prefinished" you mean full thickness t & g with a factory finish, or an engineered floor with enough veneer to be sanded without going through the veneer. The thicknesss of the veneer depends on the particular manufacturer, and may range from 1/8" to as little as 1/32 (obviously not sandable).
The floor will most likely settle back down a little when it completely dries, but will not completely go away. How long and how well the patch will blend has a lot to do with the color of the stain and the species of the wood, or veneer.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 03-02-2008 at 08:44 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote