Hardwood Vs. Carpet - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2008, 11:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

hardwood vs. carpet

New construction.
I'm trying to convince myself to install hardwood (not the prefinished type) in a small (300 sq ft) living room. I'm already committed to H/W in the dining room.
Is there any addtional prep work to do for the H/W floor?
I've already got the area rugs available.
How much difference can there be? Decent carpet & pad is fairly spendy today.
Your opinions and experience would be appreciated. Thanks

Advertisement

lkg907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

hardwood vs. carpet

Sorry, but I forgot to mention that I will not be installing the floor myself. It will be done by an outside contractor.

Advertisement

lkg907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

hardwood vs. carpet

Hardwood is more valuable and longer lasting and easier to clean.
Expect to pay at least twice as much to start....or higher...
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,018

hardwood vs. carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkg907 View Post
Sorry, but I forgot to mention that I will not be installing the floor myself. It will be done by an outside contractor.
Get the builder to install the basic carpet into the living room.

Then, either install the hardwood yourself or pay someone even less to do it for you.

The builder will usually markup the price on top of what a company would require to put it in.

If you can, find out who's the floor company that does the floors for the builder, and then pay them to do it after you settle.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:00 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

hardwood vs. carpet

I would recommend having the wood installed so there is no color matching issues in the future. If you prefer the feel of a carpet you can always buy an area rug.

Also, the prefinished flooring is faster to install, is more durable, and carries a better warranty than unfinished floors. It doesn't matter in new construction, but the with prefinished there's alot less dust involved.
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:34 PM   #6
J Calvin Construction

Rewards Points: 150

hardwood vs. carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
Get the builder to install the basic carpet into the living room.

Then, either install the hardwood yourself or pay someone even less to do it for you.

The builder will usually markup the price on top of what a company would require to put it in.

If you can, find out who's the floor company that does the floors for the builder, and then pay them to do it after you settle.
If you are going to do that, remember, he is marking up the carpet and everything else he does or hires done. It is okay to pay him. This is how we make money and how you can enjoy your home and floor for many years to come because we knew how to do it correctly the first time.

Put in what you want the first time. I would advise you to not put anything down at all if you are going to want to tear it up in a few years anyhow. That is a true waste of money. In WNC I can get you real white oak flooring, installed, sanded, and finished by reputable companies for $6.25sq' never lift a finger and still make money. It is not that bad expensive and isn't anything different to prep for.

You hired WHO?
jcalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:52 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

hardwood vs. carpet

Having two dogs and three cats, we got rid of the carpeting, that didn't make the animal hair disapear, just easier to vaccuum. Hardwood lasts a lifetime,yes you need to maintain, carpeting is going to wear out and no fixing it. As for the installer, if the contractor was good enough to hire to build the house, guess he might be able to do a good job on the floor.
DUDE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:34 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,018

hardwood vs. carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalvin View Post
If you are going to do that, remember, he is marking up the carpet and everything else he does or hires done. It is okay to pay him. This is how we make money and how you can enjoy your home and floor for many years to come because we knew how to do it correctly the first time.

Put in what you want the first time. I would advise you to not put anything down at all if you are going to want to tear it up in a few years anyhow. That is a true waste of money. In WNC I can get you real white oak flooring, installed, sanded, and finished by reputable companies for $6.25sq' never lift a finger and still make money. It is not that bad expensive and isn't anything different to prep for.
Most new build homes come with the basic floor option. That's cheap carpet and pad.

Putting down floors is not difficult at all.

When the house is going up, you can stop by and more often than not, the wood is delivered a few days ahead of time to acclimate.

From there, you can jot down what type of flooring it is.

Or, you can just ask your sales guy yourself, who makes the wood. Most builders have a display area tooting what type of flooring they put it.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:09 PM   #9
J Calvin Construction

Rewards Points: 150

hardwood vs. carpet

The bottom line is check with your builder. Chances are is that he will not let you jump in and take over any part of the job for several reasons. It's his license and insurance on the job and he wants to know that it was done correctly, he has likely been given a timeframe to finish the project and doesn't want anything that he can control to slow progress, and after all, he may be able to get a better deal on it than you can by buying it from stores that a home owner may not be able to get it from.

After he gives you the price, make sure you get him to tell you the species of wood, finish, and number of coats on the floor. Call a flooring company and tell them the dimensions of the room and they should be able to give you a quote over the phone with that much info. The rest is up to you to decide.

Advertisement

You hired WHO?
jcalvin is offline   Reply With Quote