Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #1

Share |
Cool

Hardwood transition to ceramic tile

My hallway is white oak hardwood and the bathroom will be ceramic tile. The tile in the bathroom will be the same height as the hardwood. I would like to avoid the use of a threshold. Should I just place the tile right to the hardwood with a grout line between the hardwood and tile?

willyberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyberger View Post
My hallway is white oak hardwood and the bathroom will be ceramic tile. The tile in the bathroom will be the same height as the hardwood. I would like to avoid the use of a threshold. Should I just place the tile right to the hardwood with a grout line between the hardwood and tile?
You should be able to get a color match caulk that matches your grout. Leave a grout space & caulk. Do not grout. Your hardwood needs room to expand. The caulk will give & let the hardwood expand, grout won't.

pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
Tileguy

Use a piece of metal tile edging from Schluter Systems. It comes in many metal finishes and colors. The edging MUST be installed when the tile is installed. This will terminate the tile edge perfectly and give you a positive place to terminate the tile and to caulk the wood flooring to. It comes in various heighth profiles to suit all tile thicknesses.

http://www.schlutersystems.com/2171.aspx

Last edited by Bud Cline; 08-08-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:23 AM   #4

I agree with Bud. you'll love the clean look of the 'Schluter' threshold. I've attached a picture of my tile entryway as it joins the hardwood.

Keep the grout away from the joint between the Schluter and the wood. Bud has suggested caulk but I would suggest you don't caulk and just leave the joint clean. If the joint is tight the only thing caulk will do is collect dirt and goo over time.
Attached Thumbnails
Hardwood transition to ceramic tile-summer-2009-048.jpg  

Last edited by derf36; 08-09-2009 at 09:22 AM.
derf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf36 View Post
I agree with Bud. you'll love the clean look of the 'Schluter' threshold. I've attached a picture of my tile entryway as it joins the hardwood.

Keep the grout away from the joint between the Schluter and the wood. Bud has suggested caulk but I would suggest you don't caulk and jult leave the joint clean. If the joint is tight the only thing caulk will do is tcollect dirt and goo over time.

In the picture you posted, when your floor takes on moisture, it has no room to move except up. Read any flooring manufacturers instructions, you've got to allow room for expansion. Color matched caulk will allow the wood to expand.
pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #6
Tileguy

Quote:
I would suggest you don't caulk and just leave the joint clean. If the joint is tight the only thing caulk will do is collect dirt and goo over time.
Do what you want but tight joints are asking for trouble. All flooring needs expansion accomodation. Caulk needs a couple of hours to set the surface and once that has occurred caulk WILL NOT collect dirt and "goo" (whatever that is).

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
thresholds, transitions