Hardwood Subfloor Question - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2009, 02:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hardwood Subfloor Question

I am planning on install BSL 3 1/4" Natural Cherry hardwood floors on the main floor of my house later this summer so last week we started making preparations by tearing out the existing carpet. Underneath the carpet in some of the rooms was an older lino/laminate type wood tile that is glued to the sub-floor with a black tar like adhesive.

I pulled some of the laminate up in the closet and its not stuck to the plywood too bad except where it seems there has been constant pressure (under the furniture.) What I am wondering is after I remove all the older laminate, with some of the black adhesive left should I try to remove it all by sanding it off, or should I just put another subfloor on top of the existing one and glue and screw it down? The home is about 40-45 years old so im not sure if it would be better to nail the new hardwood onto newer plywood or if the old wood will work.

Any insite provide will be helpful, thanks.

Advertisement

Beaugrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
Newbie Bill

Rewards Points: 500

Another question for you, is it possible the laminate tiles and/or the adhesive have asbestos in them?

Advertisement

drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtbk4ever View Post
Another question for you, is it possible the laminate tiles and/or the adhesive have asbestos in them?
I asked the hardwood floor store that I am getting the wood from and they don't think so, based on the appearance/type of adhesive holding them down. I know the age of the house does have that possibility though.
Beaugrand is offline   Reply With Quote