Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
HomeOwner Remodel

Rewards Points: 10

Hardwood - Subfloor Preparation?

I'm doing a remodel and so I have several things that must be dealt with (I assume). We are going to install 3/4" hardwood over wide area that covers floors from 2 remodels and the original floor meaning that there are at least 2 transition areas where there is obviously going to be a little difference in the height of the flooring. My questions are:

1. If the guy who did the framing happens to be as much as an 1/8 inch or so off, then what? Do you try and bring the low side up with luan or do you just grind away the edge or something so the transition to the new height is easier? Or just throw some floor leveler in there and forget about it?

2. When we move the plumbing and the heating vents around there are going to be holes in the subfloor. I am thinking I will just screw plywood over them from the crawlspace and then toss some floor leveler in them. Is there a better way?

Hope these don't seem like ignorant questions - I just want to try and save money on installers time by taking care of some of the "problem areas".

stevedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:01 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hardwood - Subfloor Preparation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedar View Post
1. If the guy who did the framing happens to be as much as an 1/8 inch or so off, then what? Do you try and bring the low side up with luan or do you just grind away the edge or something so the transition to the new height is easier? Or just throw some floor leveler in there and forget about it?
Use roof shingles, cut to size, and fit. Layer them, if more height is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedar View Post
2. When we move the plumbing and the heating vents around there are going to be holes in the subfloor. I am thinking I will just screw plywood over them from the crawlspace and then toss some floor leveler in them. Is there a better way?
Do as you plan; add the plywood, or other lumber from underneath, and then cut same thickness lumber to plug the holes. Cut the plugs, squares, or what ever size to fit the hole. Liquid nail, nail, or staple...into the hole.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote