Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2009, 04:16 PM   #1

Share |

Hardwood Sealer

Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out whether or not I need to use a sealer prior to Poly on my oak hardwoods. I bout reclaimed oak flooring and have put it in and have finished sanding in one room. I bought Dura-Seal penetrating stain and Dura-Seal Poly, my brother in law said we needed a sealer before Poly, but I have see articles that claim that the Poly will seal it with the first coat. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks in advance.
David

David_in_MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:15 PM   #2

Hardwood Sealer

I would think your penetrating stain would be a good sealer. especially in a hardwood like oak. I have heard of people using pre-conditioners and sealers in softer woods like pine floors to help elimate blotchy staining.

For my floors I stain and use oil based poly. the 1st couple coats I use gloss. Someone once told me the gloss has more polymers and fills better. I dunno if its true but I like the results I get from using 2 coats gloss then the final coat is Satin or Semi-gloss whatever the homeowner wants.

I recently installed 1000 sq feet at my own house and went with 4 coats all gloss since we have a lot of traffic with the dogs. Its holding up great.

Here's a link to my floors

http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/new-wood-flooring-41523/

good luck

Last edited by What have I done; 12-15-2009 at 05:20 PM.
What have I done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:25 AM   #3

Hardwood Sealer

No, you don't need a sealer. 3 coats of poly will give you a nice floor.
pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:19 PM   #4
msv
Hardwood pro

Hardwood Sealer

"DURA SEAL Penetrating Finish (Stain)
DURA SEAL Penetrating Finish is a semi-transparent stain formulated to seal, color and provide exceptional durability when used on bare wood and masonry surfaces. This rich blend of oil and resin gives hardwood floors a soft, satiny sheen. Available in colors to match any decor, DURA SEAL Penetrating Finish creates a bond with the wood that won't scratch or wear away. Can be used with or without a finish coat."

That's the quote from www.Duraseal.com.
Now, with three coats of finish on top of that, i really don't think you should worry about additional "sealing".
Personally, i consider Duraseal to be the best oil-based finish out there. Can't say i tried all of them, but i had my share (Duraseal, Lenmar, Masterline, Craftsman, Minwax, Pro Finisher, etc).

so, take that, brother-in law!!!
Old 12-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #5

Hardwood Sealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv View Post
"DURA SEAL Penetrating Finish (Stain)
DURA SEAL Penetrating Finish is a semi-transparent stain formulated to seal, color and provide exceptional durability when used on bare wood and masonry surfaces. This rich blend of oil and resin gives hardwood floors a soft, satiny sheen. Available in colors to match any decor, DURA SEAL Penetrating Finish creates a bond with the wood that won't scratch or wear away. Can be used with or without a finish coat."

That's the quote from www.Duraseal.com.
Now, with three coats of finish on top of that, i really don't think you should worry about additional "sealing".
Personally, i consider Duraseal to be the best oil-based finish out there. Can't say i tried all of them, but i had my share (Duraseal, Lenmar, Masterline, Craftsman, Minwax, Pro Finisher, etc).

so, take that, brother-in law!!!
Ya ever get a chance to use Fabulon retail label, you'll never go back to duraseal. Toughest stuff I've ever laid on a floor.
pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote