Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hardwood repair - Help Needed, problem encountered?

Had my floors done prior to moving into my house. First piece of furniture delivered resulted in a scratch down to the wood. I tried to fix myself but so far I don't like the results. See photo, I painted Poly on the scratch but the scratch took on a darker hue so it is still viable. I am hoping it is just still "wet" but I am concerned that is not the case. Floor is natural (aka unstained) and we originally used gloss poly. I used Minwax Clear Gloss Poly, sanded lightly prior to application, and applied using a brush and went with the grain. Did I do something wrong? Photo was taken about 10 hours after application at a height of about 12-18 off the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Hardwood repair - Help Needed, problem encountered?-photo.jpg  

BigBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 252

You said "delivered" for the furniture.
If it was a professional company or anybody hired by a furniture store, get them out there to professionally fix it at no cost to you.

Are you sure the previous finish was poly.
Not sure what pre finished floor is finished with. I thought it was some sort of UV cured nitro, but not sure.

Last edited by michaelcherr; 04-20-2012 at 10:25 AM.
michaelcherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the response.... If we lived closer they would have come out and fixed it (we ordered a discontinued piece from a far away store), so instead they gave us a $100 check to find someone in our area to fix.

My thinking was this seemed easy to do and odds are I will end up with another scratch in the next 30-50 years, so I might as well learn to fix now.

So I could pay someone to fix for $0 out of pocket but I would just prefer to learn and DIY.
BigBill is offline   Reply With Quote