Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

hardwood over old pine floors

I am attempting to get HONEST advice on laying hardwood over original pine floors. I keep getting different answers from the professionals. Some say it doesn't matter which way the joists are running other say it does. Can someone offer advice on the following. I have old pine floors that I would like to cover with maple hardwood. Joists are running east-west and pine floor running north -south. New floors have to run opposite joists or opposite pine sub-flooring. Does the age of the floor (100+ years) have anything to do with it. Perhaps that it won't move since the house has settled? HELP!

nwhitehurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwhitehurst
I am attempting to get HONEST advice on laying hardwood over original pine floors. I keep getting different answers from the professionals. Some say it doesn't matter which way the joists are running other say it does. Can someone offer advice on the following. I have old pine floors that I would like to cover with maple hardwood. Joists are running east-west and pine floor running north -south. New floors have to run opposite joists or opposite pine sub-flooring. Does the age of the floor (100+ years) have anything to do with it. Perhaps that it won't move since the house has settled? HELP!

Run the new floor in the direction that is perpendicular to the old floor....that should be strong and less sqeaky.

Tyfloors is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyfloors For This Useful Post:
nwhitehurst (03-09-2011)
Old 03-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #3

HI!!!

I am new to this forum but not new to the game.. You stated in your post 100 + year old pine flooring. GOOD GOD MAN REFINISH IT!!!!! They don't make flooring like that anymore. Or hey here is an idea, I will come remove it for you free of charge and you can start fresh. But I keep all the wood.
Jamacamecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

When in doubt run the wood diagonally.
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

In one room I put the flooring down diagonally across the existing pine. The existing floor wasn't very good to begin with, and there was no subfloor.

In another room I glued and screwed 3/4" T&G plywood and installed on that.

Both floors are working well.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote