Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2007, 12:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hardwood over Concrete

I have a semi-finished basement that I recently drywalled and did some adjustments to.There are a total of three rooms to it,one is a living area,one is an art room and the other a kitchen area.I currently have green carpeting covering the kitchen and living area, and I want to rip out the carpet in the kitchen and install hardwood.I have been reading articles online and it seems many subjective answers are being given.Some people say you'll need a vapour barrier and also glueing is necessary to do it right.Others say floating planks are fine and no underlayment is necessary at all.

I would like to use the floating method but I don't know how well it will work.If all I have to do is lay a vapour barrier down before installing then i'm perfectly fine with that,I just don't want to start messing with glue and nails,I want a nice and clean installation.

I won't start ripping out the carpet until I get some advice from you fine folks,I wouldn't want to be left with bare concrete and no fancy floor

PS:This is my first post,and I hope to stick around.It seems like a fine community to be a part of.Hopefully I can help some people around the forums and give some advice out thats worth taking.

SpunFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 02:28 PM   #2
Home Improvement Guy

Rewards Points: 250

Hardwood over Concrete

Quote:
I would like to use the floating method but I don't know how well it will work.If all I have to do is lay a vapour barrier down before installing then i'm perfectly fine with that,I just don't want to start messing with glue and nails,I want a nice and clean installation
I'm guessing that you mean clik and lok laminate flooring?
IMHO this would be my first choice in a basement. However, in a basement kitchen, I would prefer ceramic tile.

ron schenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:10 PM   #3

Hardwood over Concrete

Hmm,well not exactly.I'm talking about real hardwood with a click and lock type mechanism where you can connect the pieces and let them float over the basefloor.The reason i'm using hardwood is because we have two cases full of it in our shed and there basically going to waste as our original plan was to replace carpet upstairs with it but then we decided against that idea.

Is hardwood pretty terrible to use in a basement?Is there a risk of it getting moldy?

The basement is older and since moving to our new residence i've been slowly touching it up and remodeling it.I've tiled a brick shelf and painted some cinderblocks and the floor onyx in the art room and now i'm focusing on the kitchen.

This is somewhat unrelated but I'm also thinking about redowing the inside shelves of the kitchen with some nice new sheet metal,does that sound feasible?

Sorry for all the questions,i'm just trying to gather all the information about this project as possible and I don't feel the need to go and make multiple threads about it.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:58 PM   #4
Home Improvement Guy

Rewards Points: 250

Hardwood over Concrete

Two full cases is only around 40 sq.ft. Is that enough?
ron schenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:40 PM   #5

Hardwood over Concrete

Yeah,it should be plenty.It's only a small walk-in kitchen,not anything too huge.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:20 PM   #6

Hardwood over Concrete

If it is engineered harwood it should be fine. Manufacturers will typically indicate if it can be installed below-grade or not. I am planning a similar project but on-grade & on concrete
bsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:21 PM   #7

Hardwood over Concrete

Yeah thats what i'm worried about,it's solid wood not engineered.It's Bruce Hardwood,solid oak.

I guess i'll just lay it how I see fit and if it doesn't work I can always take it out,it's gonna be floating anyway.

I'm transferring it into the basement tonight and leaving it there for a couple days to get acclimated to the environment before installing.Last minute hints and tips are appreciated,thanks.