Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2010, 04:26 AM   #1

Share |

hardwood over concrete

I have a slab foundation with some kinda tile/wood/tar stuff over it. The house was built in the 1930's and I bought 3/4" #2 solid red oak T&G. The plan is to run a leveler over the tile, then go with some plywood and then the hardwood.
The tile has some staples in it from the carpet install and is about 3/16" thick. It's a tar/rubber then wood then tile type stuff and I was advised to leave it because of asbestos.

Question: can I run 1/2" plywood and will OSB (or something cheaper) be ok? I'm looking at doing the whole house and I'm working on a budget so I'm ok with doing extra work to save a buck.
If I can't nail into 1/2+3/16 (11/16 total), can I use shorter nails and use some gule or would that end up being the same price?

KarlJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:18 PM   #2

hardwood over concrete

Anyone? I have a chance to get some 1/2" plywood cheap, but don't want to waste my money if it won't work...

Old 07-31-2010, 08:01 PM   #3
Tileguy

hardwood over concrete

I suggest you consult the manufacturer's instructions, since what you're planning is completely unkool.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:14 PM   #4

hardwood over concrete

I suggest you nail/screw pressure treated 1x3 to the floor every 16" and nail the flooring to that. If you have short lengths of flooring, then you'll need to put 3/4" plywood on the strips before nailing the flooring. I'm assuming the previous floor will act as a vapor barrier, otherwise you will need 6mil poly under the 1x3 strips.
You can also buy interlocking squares that are made to be installed directly over the concrete and then the flooring over that. Either way, you'll lose some height in the room and will have to trim the doors.
Is the floor above or below grade?
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:19 PM   #5

hardwood over concrete

It's above grade. If I use use pressure treated 1x3 every 16", wouldn't that cause some warping between them? So it looks like I need to find some 3/4" plywood... Is there any special kind that I need?
Old 07-31-2010, 10:20 PM   #6

hardwood over concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
I suggest you consult the manufacturer's instructions, since what you're planning is completely unkool.

Jaz
Just wondering what's unkool about this and what you would suggest, I didn't want to glue it down if I could avoid that.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #7

hardwood over concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
It's above grade. If I use use pressure treated 1x3 every 16", wouldn't that cause some warping between them? So it looks like I need to find some 3/4" plywood... Is there any special kind that I need?
Either a t&g plywood or advantech. There would be no warping of the 1x3 if you glue and/or screw them down

mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote