Hardwood Over Concrete - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2008, 03:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hardwood over concrete

I have a 50 year old above grade concrete floor I am looking to put 3/4 hardwood flooring over. It has 1/2 sound board with 1/2 durock laid on top. I was thinking of screwing plywood to the durock then nailing the flooring to this. What do you think? Peter

Advertisement

robothouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Hardwood over concrete

i would altho i don't know how ' sound board ' is defined,,, t&g 3/4" plywood screwed thru to the sub-floor, too !

Advertisement

yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:30 AM   #3

Hardwood over concrete

It is foam on both sides of a honeycomb cardboard product. Both layers are floating at this point. Peter
Old 12-07-2008, 09:42 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Hardwood over concrete

thanks, pete,,, doesn't change what i'd do,,, we've got roofing paper under our 3/4" maple flooring,,, yours sounds better to me.
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:02 PM   #5

Hardwood over concrete

So here is the short of it: 50 year old concrete floor, an old JC Penny building. Floated on this is 1/2" soundboard. Floated on this is 1/2" Durock. Screwed to this I will install 3/4" plywood on the 45 degree with roofing paper next. Nailed to this will be the 3/4" hardwood. Does this about do it or do I take the Durock up and sell it and pour a concrete floor and glue the 3/4" hardwood to this?
Old 12-07-2008, 10:27 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,254

Hardwood over concrete

How are you planning to screw to the Durock and this sound board? Those product won't take a screw. You'd be able to remove the screws with your fingers. Not a good plan there.

I don't understand why there is Durock on this floor in the first place. Durock, and all CBU's are intended to be thinseted and fastened to wood floors, not just bonded as this must be.

If this substrate has been down for years and is still OK, why don't you install engineered wood? Engineered can be glued or just floated loose.

Solid 3/4" hardwood must be nailed to wood substrates. There are methods to do this over concrete, but the Durock and cardboard honeycomb stuff has to go.

What brand hardwood are you considered or have you chosen one yet? Each manufacturer has specific instructions, especially when a non-standard method is considered. Be sure to read the fine print and when instructions seem vague.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:09 AM   #7

Hardwood over concrete

Jazman, Thanks for the comment. The soundboard is floated, it is more of a cardboard, and it needs to stay for sound purposes. The durock is also floated and is also for sound purposes. All others but one build left this as is, installed underlayment, then a floating floor, tile or carpet. One guy took up the durock and poured a layer of concrete and installed hardwood flooring on that. I am not sure if it is engineered or solid. Peter

Advertisement