Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2007, 06:26 PM   #1

Share |

Hardwood Nailer suggestions

We are planning on installing Hardwood in several rooms in our new home and want to invest in a Pneumatic flooring nailer/compressor system.

Any suggestions for the best product for the money?

LaurynJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:26 AM   #2

Are you planning on 3/4" hardwood? If so, before purchasing a pneumatic nailer/stapler, check into renting. A new Bostitch MIIIFS will run about $400 and a weeks rental for 1300 sqft or 2-1/4"oak cost $100. With this stapler I think we had one jam for the floor....which I think is pretty remarkable. When looking at a rental, I found the best value at a full line construction tool shop. Some have had good luck with a knock off from e-bay...maybe someone will stop buy and share if they have experience with one.

A Porter Cable job boss handled the nailer fine, and you'll have to look at the CFM requirements of the stapler and match that to the output of the compressor. Depending on what you want to do other than this project, to a certain extent bigger is better, and if you have a choice, choose oil type compressor over oil-less. Quieter and more durable....but it does require maintenance.

RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:06 PM   #3

Hi, I agree with RippySkippy about renting a flooring nailer. Unless you're going to use it a lot in the future or you're loaded and money really doesn't matter. I would look into buying the compressor though, especially if you are going to do woodworking in the future and would use it. You may already have one, just wanted to run this by you. You may want to look into buying a "combo"pack that has a decent compressor, brad nailer and finish nailer,etc. On the other hand, if you possibly will be doing any spraying with a spray gun, which I recommend in a lot of cases for furniture, you may want to get a larger compressor that can handle the CFM requirements for a spray gun. Hope this helps.
kjwoodworking is offline   Reply With Quote