Hardwood Layout Suggestions And Ideas - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hardwood layout suggestions and ideas

Hi there,

I'm just starting my own hardwood flooring project and was wondering if I could pick the brains of the community on their recommendations for my floor layout. I've attached a picture of the work area. Ignore the sq. ft. numbers; they're wrong.

For the dining room, I'd like to lay the boards so that the length of them run horizontally. For the hallway area, I'd like to lay the boards vertically. The area in question is where the hallway turns into the dining room.

I can't come up with a nice or seamless way for vertical boards to transition into horizontal ones. I tried playing around with the idea of adding a border to separate the two areas, but it didn't look right since the border would be running in the same direction (vertical) as the hallway.

The reason why I want to run the boards horizontally in the dining room is because the joists beneath run vertically, and the general practice seems to be to lay the boards perpendicular to the joists. The subfloor is 7/8" OSB, and I believe the joists are spaced 32" apart.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Hardwood layout suggestions and ideas-layout.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by Junta; 05-03-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Junta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 184

Hardwood layout suggestions and ideas

NOFMA does recommend installing hardwood floors perpendicular to floor joists. They however don't rule out installing them parallel if that is unavoidable or highly desired.

I think in that instance they recommend applying a second subfloor running perpendicular to the existing (glued/nailed) and/or blocking the floor joists. All this to insure your subflooring is completely solid. I layed 1,600 sq. ft (investment property) in this fashion four years ago and have yet to have an issue.

In addition, I much prefer flooring that is layed in the same direction throughout a house, as it conveys a solid and uniform feel; whereas direction changes seem purely cosmetic, IMHO. Needless to say, I like the original look of older homes in which such flooring actually served a purpose...

Good luck

Advertisement

Last edited by Ralph III; 05-05-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Ralph III is online now   Reply With Quote