Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2014, 11:04 PM   #1

Share |

Hardwood Layout Question

I'm looking at installing engineered hardwood and have a question about the best way to orient the boards. I'm looking at doing the living room and dining room in the attached floorplan (as well as the connecting hallway. Since they're oriented differently, I'm wondering if I should orient the flooring the long way in the living room, or the long way in the dining room. Or should I change the orientation at one side of the hallway?

The subfloor is concrete slab, so joist direction is not a consideration.
Attached Thumbnails
Hardwood Layout Question-floorplan-downstairs.jpg  

TJSocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:19 AM   #2

Hardwood Layout Question

Asthetically speaking, I would go long ways in the living room. (Vertical on your diagram). The dining room looks square, so no advantage either way in that room. the experts on here can tell you any technical reasons for their preference, but I can't think of any. I wouldn't ever change directions if you dont have to...that would not look as nice, and you'd have more transitions/thresholds, etc.

joemontana16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:58 AM   #3

Hardwood Layout Question

If it was me, I'd run it lengthwise down the hall, straight from the living room into the dining room. It'll tie the two rooms together and make it look "bigger."

I did my home like that but due to the subfloor I had no choice.

L-R in your picture.
AandPDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:23 PM   #4

Hardwood Layout Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AandPDan View Post
If it was me, I'd run it lengthwise down the hall, straight from the living room into the dining room. It'll tie the two rooms together and make it look "bigger."

I did my home like that but due to the subfloor I had no choice.

L-R in your picture.
Yeah, I do kind of like the idea of a straight run all the way from front to back. The dining room looks square in the drawing but I think because of furnishings and the back wall having a sliding glass door it's visually longer in the horizontal direction. Plus I don't really like the idea of short runs of boards across the hallway area, it seems like that might look funny.

Thanks!
TJSocal is offline   Reply With Quote