Hardwood Laminate Install? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2011, 12:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Hardwood Laminate Install?

Going to get started on laying my floor in the next day or two. I've read online how to start and such, so I'm good there. My question is what would be the proper install way when you have to install into the area where the stove sits, and have to go around a corner. I know I may have to cut a part out, but when you get to the stove area, do you install to the wall, or come from the wall. Kind of hard to explain. Same question goes for a small food pantry area. I've been searching online, and just have came across a whole lot of helpful info. If you have any questions, please let me know, and I'll do my best to explain further.

Advertisement

ws450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #2

"hardwood laminate"????? Are you talking about engineered wood? Or laminate that looks like wood? Wood (and laminate) need a small "gap" away from the wall for expansion/contraction. I wouldn't go up to the wall completely, your floor will buckle like crazy.

Advertisement

Last edited by ttr13r; 08-29-2011 at 04:36 PM.
ttr13r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttr13r View Post
"hardwood laminate"????? Are you talking about engineered wood? Or laminate that looks like wood? Wood (and laminate) need a small "gap" away from the wall for expansion/contraction. I wouldn't go up to the wall completely, your floor will buckle like crazy.

The tongue and groove planks. And I didn't mean up directly against the wall. The brand I got says leave 1/4" gap.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

When it comes to the stove, are your planks going parallel with or perpindular to the stove openning?

Either way, you could stop just under the edge of the stove and lay plywood down the same thickness as your flooring from where you stop your flooring to the wall or you could cut the pieces so they fit between the cabinets and carry the floor to within the recommended gap at the wall, either way it's your choice.

If you choose to run the flooring up to the wall you carry the floor in under the stove not from the wall out to what you just laid.

Mark
Old 08-29-2011, 05:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
When it comes to the stove, are your planks going parallel with or perpindular to the stove openning?

Either way, you could stop just under the edge of the stove and lay plywood down the same thickness as your flooring from where you stop your flooring to the wall or you could cut the pieces so they fit between the cabinets and carry the floor to within the recommended gap at the wall, either way it's your choice.

If you choose to run the flooring up to the wall you carry the floor in under the stove not from the wall out to what you just laid.

Mark
It will be going parallel with the opening. Also, thanks for the reply. This is the answer I was looking for. Since the tongue will be going towards the wall, is it hard to put those pieces that are going under the stove on "backwards"?