DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Hardwood in kitchen over concrete slab

5K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Bud Cline 
#1 ·
I have plans to install a Brazilian Teak engineered hardwood floor in my kitchen which is a concrete slab. I live in California (Simi Valley), so I'm not too concerened with extreme shifts in weather. I have removed all of the cabinets and was wondering what is the best way to install the floor. Can I glue it directly to the slab, or do I need to put down a subfloor and if so, how do I go about doing that?

#5 ·
I don't know how thick this flooring is, but be careful not to trap the dishwasher.
Sometimes adding tile, wood flooring, etc. will build the floor up enough so that a dw can't be removed from a fixed cabinet base, and then the flooring has to be cut out in order to remove and replace it.
Mike

#6 ·
Markvonjinn said:
Yes, the flooring comes in slats with a tounge-in-groove assembly. They are not, however inter-locking like a pergo floor
How thick are the slates?

Some floors are nailed, some are glued together and some interlock.

Did the floor come with instructions?

It sounds like that the floor may be the type that is nailed.

#13 ·
I'm learning here......bear with me.:)

When glueing full sheets of plywood to a concrete slab how would one get all of the edges of the plywood to flush-up on the surface while the glue is setting-up? Of course if the concrete was perfectly plane this wouldn't be an issue but how often does one see a "perfectly plane" concrete slab? So.....how is this done?:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.