Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #1

Share |

Hardwood higher than Tile

Hello - I've read through many entries trying to find a solution for my specific problem. None seem to answer my issue completely. Here are the basics:
  • Installing bamboo solid hardwood (9/16" x 5-1/8") on concrete floor
  • Installing on top of easy float underlayment
  • One stretch of 13' has a transition from hardwood to tile
  • In the transition, the hardwood is right between 1/4" to 3/8" higher than the tile.
  • The reducer is to large for this situation.
  • Rep at the lumber store recommended a threshold butting up against the tile. This just seems like an eye sore and too much of a trip hazard.
  • It would be nice to cut down existing planks to fit the slope but I'm not sure how to do that.
Any help or insight on this transition would be great. I've seen some images online, but I'm having trouble visualizing how to make the cut. Also, I've read references to a grout matching caulking. This is used when running the wood transition right up to around 3/8" of the tile. Is this caulk sufficient for expansion?

thank you - DA

Last edited by deaner00; 07-02-2013 at 03:54 PM.
deaner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #2

Try a real flooring store, there's hundreds of different transition strips available.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #3

Not sure what you mean. It is a real store that only sales flooring material. None of the transitions fit my setup (at least the ones that match my wood).
Old 07-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #4

"Rep at the lumber store recommended a threshold butting up against the tile."
A simple rip cut on a table saw should be able to make anything you want.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #5

Thank you for the response. So if I rip cut a piece that butts up to the wood and I leave a gap of about 3/8", then fill in with the grout colored caulk, is that ok as far as expansion goes?
Old 07-09-2013, 02:20 AM   #6

I would look at a Tmold , It's the wrong application , But if you leave a gap the t leg goes into it , The top part can angle a little , At this point it's worth a look at the Idea , Trying to rip a piece of prefinish bamboo , Will take a creative idea , But it may be done , I can't see the job from University place wa ,Unless you post a pic , But I know exactly what you are talking about any way , The other Idea Would be to rip the bottom of the Reducer off , But thats hard to do evenly , Then the next Idea would be to go to ontoher store or look at a thinner product , And get a look at the reducer made for a thinner product , Then Finally Use a Altogether different reducer , Could be a gold carpet strip , r a stained Oak strip that looks similar , Or try to make your own , I have never tried to sand bamboo , So Try it with a small piece and see if you could rip it thin and sand it , ... There is a solution , You just have to think outside the one store your dealing with , Or ask them to show you reducers for a different bamboo they sell ,

tacomahardwood. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flooring, hardwood, tile, transition