Hardwood Floors Rough Patches After 2nd Coat - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2009, 04:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hardwood Floors Rough Patches after 2nd Coat

Hello all! I just put my 2nd coat of oil based varithane on my freshly sanded floors with a lambs wool applicator and after it dried i saw some rough patches. Is that because there's too little varithane in those areas? Should I sand those areas a bit more before i do a 3rd uniform coat on the whole floor or should I just do those spots?

In one area it appears there's some type of scrape in the dried varithane; it's small but how should I fix that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

MD_Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
Wood Flooring & Carpentry

Rewards Points: 25

Sounds like raised grain.. What steps did you take from start to finish while sanding the floor?

Best New York Flooring Installers For Hardwood Floors

Advertisement

lawndart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawndart View Post
Sounds like raised grain.. What steps did you take from start to finish while sanding the floor?

Best New York Flooring Installers For Hardwood Floors
I sanded the edges with an edger usinga square sander (oriiginal coat was worn down to the wood in patches) once with 35 and once with 60, vaccuumed, ragged, used a lambswool applicator to seal it (varithane floors oil based), waited 4 hours, added a second coat. I checked it closer today and found there was a slight recession, and it was dull. I think I missed a few patches. Does that sound right to you?
MD_Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote