Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2011, 09:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Hardwood floors cold near window

Hello I am new here. I was wondering if there is any solution to my hardwood floors tat are especially cold near the windows. The windows don't seem to be letting air in but the floors are very uncomfortable. I have a 2 yr old and wanna try and fix this asap. It is a new construction house and the builders want to take their sweet time to come look at it. It has been 4 months already

Help

Daallstarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:42 PM   #2

I'm guessing there is no real insulation issues here, but is more than likely just the glass cooling the floor due to the cold weather outside. What type of windows were used during the construction? Is the glass very cold? Are there blinds on the windows yet? Is their any ac/heating vent that you could divert the warm air toward that cold area?

If its just the extreme cold outside, there is not alot you can do. They do make window insulation kits that can be used in the winter time, which will increase the R factoe of the window significally. Might want to try one.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-2141W-Indoo.../dp/B00002NCJI

Gulledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:08 AM   #3

I the area I live in they put a vent by every opening in the house. (Doors and windows) If there is a vent in that area you may need to get a vent booster. They make in-line and above the floor types. The above the floor would be the easiest type. They plug into the wall.

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/p...e-001b2166c62d
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
Experienced

If you are referring to a first/main floor problem, the rim joist (the outside parimeter) has probably not been insulated. Do you have a basement or a crawl space.

If you have a basement, look up at the floor joist at the ends looking toward the outside of the house and tell us what you see.

If this is a second floor problem, the fix is much harder to acheive, but the cause is very similar.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #5

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I took pictures so hope they help. I live in a townhouse. Where the garage is at the bottom, the problem is on the second floor where the living room is. I caulked the outside windows as I saw a few gaps. I am really hoping that works. The windows are cold but not freezing so I doubt it's the windows. They put Anderson windows, don't know what model. If you guys have any ideas let me know. Thanks again. Really appreciate it
Attached Images

Daallstarz is offline   Reply With Quote