Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2007, 07:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Talking

Hardwood Floors

Hey we are going to install hardwood floors in our family room. We were looking at the preverco floors has anyone heard of this brand if so let me know what you think.

Also I was wondering what would be better pre-finished or the old way.

Thanks Josh

Josh89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:58 PM   #2
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Hardwood Floors

Prefinished has a tougher finish then the "old way", install is faster. The "old way" does have a quality look to it and is smooth as a babys bottom when done.

Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to mischka222

Hardwood Floors

I do not know anything about the brand - but I do know that any other wood floor I put in will be pre-finished, unless I pay someone to do it. Then again - I will still probably go with pre-finished. Time saver - with 2 kids and a dog - having rooms that you can't go in for days at a time is a major drawback. (Currently awaiting the drying of a second coat of poly in one room - has been 2 weeks - humidity - life now in complete shambles
mischka222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Hardwood Floors

Preverco....

wish I could help.

new brand on the market?
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Hardwood Floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh89 View Post
Hey we are going to install hardwood floors in our family room. We were looking at the preverco floors has anyone heard of this brand if so let me know what you think.

Also I was wondering what would be better pre-finished or the old way.

Thanks Josh
Josh,
I am also considering preverco How did it turn out for you?
Tom
panels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:38 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Hardwood Floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brik View Post
Prefinished has a tougher finish then the "old way", install is faster. The "old way" does have a quality look to it and is smooth as a babys bottom when done.

Not true at all. A professional sand on sight flooring contractor can make a floor baby butt smooth. As for durability, 3 coats of high quality poly is far tougher than prefinished floors.

I installed oak floors in a restaurant 4 years ago & finished with 3 coats high quality poly. Daily traffic is 3-500 people & floors still look amazing.

Installed prefinish in a high end restaurant seating area & within 2 years floors looked like crap. Prefinish had far less abusive traffic.

I've been back in on floors I refinished over 10 years ago, that still look amazing & have refinished prefinished floors that are only 10 years old that have faded badly due to sunlight streaming in.
pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:47 PM   #7

Hardwood Floors

Yeah, but they don't put poly on prefinished floors. It's some kind of aluminum oxide finish (same stuff as sand paper).

I put down pre-finished bamboo in our living room and my office, and had someone else put down pre-finished bamboo in the kitchen. We like it a lot.

At work they have site finished 75 year old oak (refinished about 15 years ago). I've watched it age. It's done really well everywhere except under the rolling chairs.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:26 PM   #8

Hardwood Floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyper View Post
Yeah, but they don't put poly on prefinished floors. It's some kind of aluminum oxide finish (same stuff as sand paper).

I put down pre-finished bamboo in our living room and my office, and had someone else put down pre-finished bamboo in the kitchen. We like it a lot.

At work they have site finished 75 year old oak (refinished about 15 years ago). I've watched it age. It's done really well everywhere except under the rolling chairs.
No hardwood does well under rolling chairs.

Aluminum oxide is correct & it's also correct that it's hard finish. The real drawback I see with it is that there's no cheap, easy way to recoat it when it needs it. You have to use a bonding agent in order to get waterborne finish to adhear to it. Whereas, a poly floor can be sandscreened & given another coat or 2 of finish if damaged.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:38 AM   #9

Hardwood Floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel45 View Post
The real drawback I see with it is that there's no cheap, easy way to recoat it when it needs it.
Hmmm. That could be a problem. Can it be sanded off completely and then finished? We did the one in our kitchen 7 years ago and it shows no signs of wear (the finish) but the wood is picking up some dents from dropping stuff on it.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:09 AM   #10

Hardwood Floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyper View Post
Hmmm. That could be a problem. Can it be sanded off completely and then finished? We did the one in our kitchen 7 years ago and it shows no signs of wear (the finish) but the wood is picking up some dents from dropping stuff on it.

Yes, it can be sanded off & recoated with poly or waterborne. I've refinished quite a few prefinished floors.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:22 AM   #11
msv
Hardwood pro

Hardwood Floors

pinwheel rocks!!1