Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

hardwood floors

hi there
I would like to install hardwood floors for in living room and den. What I need to know, is it hard to do , do I have to hire a professional and what tools are involved in this project. ]
Thanks

dcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #2

hardwood floors

How hard is it to go from carpet to hard wood floors. I want to put hardwood floors in my two rooms of my house, I know I have a sub-floor under the carpet padding. My house is a very old house but it is in very good shape

thanks
doris

dcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:38 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

hardwood floors

It would be inappropriate to suggest how you might install hardwood (or bamboo) floors without knowing more about the structure under all you walk on and more about the subfloor material.

First question I would ask is whether there is a possibility, as trends changed from hard floors, to wtw carpeting that you already have a floor hiding underneath it all? I ask because I worked almost exclusively on old antique homes and often found nice, oak, cherry and maple floors hiding under horrid looking green shag carpeting and padding. Such floors took some restoration work but looked great when done and the cost of new flooring was a non-issue.

If you need to install new flooring? Buy good stuff and probably not from the place Bob Villa advertises. I like bamboo as a hardwood alternative but get nice oak or whatever.

Wood or bamboo flooring comes in basically two types these days. The tongue and groove stuff you nail down and engineered type panels.

With T&G you will have to rent a flooring nailer. As you move across the room with your new flooring, the nailer puts nails at an angle through the boards and into the subfloor. Engineered panels come in all kinds of configurations but you generally need equipment to pull them into place to each other.

I am an old, and old-fashioned guy I guess. I love the feel of a nicely finished hardwood or bamboo floor nailed through a cork underlay.

In fairness? I had real PERGO, not box store laminate crap, installed in my geezer Godparents home. It was what they could afford and it sold their house instantly because the kitchen looked like it had a wood floor.

Shop around and from suppliers other than Lumber Liquidators or whatever. Ask a real flooring supplier for recommendations.

You can install flooring yourself but the folks who do it for a living will keep you from ending up with stupid looking pieces of flooring next to walls and things. Good floor folk can spot and correct almost faster than good tile guys or gals.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote