Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2008, 09:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Hardwood Flooring Stapler/Nailer

Hi guys.

I installed 3/4" hardwood flooring in one room in my house a couple months ago. This was the first time I installed hardwood, and I rented a pneumatic stapler (Bostitch I believe).

I am now going to do a couple more rooms, and my Dad is going to do a room in his house. So rather than renting the tool for several days, we are thinking about purchasing one.

This may be the only time we use it, but you never know. So I don't really want to spend the extra money on a pneumatic stapler. So my question is, do any of you have experience with the manual staplers/nailers? How are they to work with? Do they do as good of a job as the pneumatic? Or should we just pay almost the price of a new manual stapler to rent the pneumatic?

Finally, if the manual staplers/nailers are decent, I am looking at these 2 at the local HD. They work differently (ratcheting nailer vs. single blow stapler). Which would be easier and/or better to use?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90401+525223

TIA for any input, guys.

Jason

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:29 PM   #2
Kyle Emerick

Rewards Points: 75

My 2 cents is if your going to use it for more than a couple days, buy it. I have rented several tools from Home Depot and I usually end up spending enough to have just bought it. Do the math and you may end up with a tool to keep.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:57 AM   #3
Theres more then one way.

Rewards Points: 150

Ive never use a pneumatic for hardwood but have swung the mallet for a few planks...
Im goning to be laying 3/4 oak for a 350-400 sqf room(s) in a month or so and will be renting a pneumatic

Do not know if one is better then the other, but time and energy pushed me to the pneumatic.

Question on the same topic.
Are nails better then staples for pneumatic guns ?

_

My current learning experience - 22x22 addition - Work shop, music-room, master bedroom above..
iMisspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #4
New Look Painting & Textu

Rewards Points: 10

Air is the way to go have used both manual will wear u out. Buy one then when you are done put it on ebay you will make most of your money back
voiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #5
New Look Painting & Textu

for 3/4 tounge and groove use cleat nailer
voiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:12 PM   #6

Well, I decided on a manual nailer. I'm a young guy, so I can take it. lol But I may need to help my Dad out a bit when he does his. Thanks for the tips. I like the idea of re-selling the pneumatic on eBay, but I like to keep tools once I purchase them. You never know when you might need them down the road.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:40 AM   #7

I did some research a couple of years ago and most flooring Mfg. recommend cleats because staples do not allow the floor to expand as much. Contractors use staples because they are cheaper for thousands of shots.

I would go with the pneumatic. I have a pneumatic Campbell Hausfeld that was about the same cost as a manual Bostich and shoots both staples and nails. Worked great!

Last edited by Disco Stu; 12-16-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:34 PM   #8
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncw View Post
Hi guys.
....So my question is, do any of you have experience with the manual staplers/nailers? How are they to work with? Do they do as good of a job as the pneumatic? Or should we just pay almost the price of a new manual stapler to rent the pneumatic?

Finally, if the manual staplers/nailers are decent, I am looking at these 2 at the local HD. They work differently (ratcheting nailer vs. single blow stapler). Which would be easier and/or better to use?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90401+525223

TIA for any input, guys.

Jason
Jason,

I'd suggest that you stick with the pneumatic. Manuals will work on softer wood. But, you will still have to really slam it home.

The harder the wood species, the more difficult, or nearly impossible it will be to attempt to use a manual stapler. What will happen is the staples will not set fully, because of the density of the wood.

Our manual stapler is collecting dust in one of our storage garages. We only use our pneumatics for the reasons I listed.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #9

Well, dammit, why didn't you chime in earlier? lol

I purchased it yesterday (want to start the project after Christmas), so I guess I will see how it goes. I don't mind a good workout, but if the cleats aren't setting properly, I will try to return it or just sell it and get the pneumatic.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:31 PM   #10
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

Never used a manual nailer. Not my area of expertise either, but I've done a few thousand feet, helping friends, and I actually bought a Harbor Freight pneumatic for my own use. Have used it on the friends' projects (so far) and it has done fine. It's not a high end piece, but for $129.00 on sale (if memory serves me) it's not a bad deal. It is actually a stapler, not a cleat nailer so "Disco's" comment may be worth considering. And I'm NOT "a young guy" any more,so I tend to take the easy way out........ Good luck.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:39 PM   #11

I bought the Bostitch combo pack- compressor, stapler, brad nailer and finish nailer for $320 and so far, it's the best $320 I have ever spent for home remodelling. I could imagine doing a floor without it.
Greytguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 500

Greytguy, are you talking about a normal air stapler or a hardwood flooring stapler? I have seen the kit i think your talking about and it is just a normal stapler and not for hardwood flooring. This is a link for a flooring stapler http://www.amazon.com/Bostitch-MIIIF...9882221&sr=8-1
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:40 PM   #13

Ponch,

You are correct.
Greytguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:40 AM   #14
Still Learning

Rewards Points: 75

Manuals are very labor intensive. Before pneumatics became popular I could see my self drenched after each day and nailing 300 square feet or so. This was also in climate controlled homes. I don't sweat profusely but towards the end of the day it looked like I was swimming all day.

For harder exotics it was just a matter of making sure you it the plunger squarely and with the right amount of force. Otherwise the cleats are very difficult to set by hand. When it comes to staple or nails, more experienced installers in areas of higher regional moisture such as the gulf states prefer the use of cleats because of the expansion properties noted above.
HardwoodGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:56 PM   #15
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

So staples aren't so much of an issue here in the Atlanta area (especially now with the drought)?? Hate to think I need to buy a different gun. And I've still got the better part of a box (7,000+) of staples left...... Back when I was drywalling new houses, I never really paid much attention to what the hardwood guys used in this area. (Seems like the builder was always running them in before we were done.)