Hardwood Flooring Product Recommendations - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hardwood Flooring Product Recommendations

Hi everyone,

I am researching options for hardwood installations throughout many rooms in my home. I am going back and forth between doing the entire house or just the lower level. The complete job would be around 2,300 sq. ft.

After doing a bit of research, I found an option near me in Chelsea, Michigan of which I've heard great reviews (plankflooring.com). There were some great options available that seemed to be high quality (3/4" thick), but unfortunately, they seem to really be pushing their 3/4/5" combination arrangements. The 5" planks for the Black River Hickory is currently $7.70/sq. ft., which puts the materials for this project totally out of the scope of my budget.

Does anyone have any recommendations for other places that have a good cost to quality ratio? I am located in southeastern Michigan, but wouldn't be opposed to looking at online options if I absolutely had to. I am currently interested in hickory due to its hardness and the fact that it has some great variation between planks. Any recommendations for products, resources, and anything else are greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Advertisement

Last edited by brandofaction; 04-20-2014 at 08:55 PM.
brandofaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:18 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 508

My solid hardwood came from Lumber Liquidators. I installed it and have no complaints.

Advertisement

Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

You're probably surrounded with sawmills, from mom and pop shops to huge facilities. Keep hunting!

Sent from my Motorola MicroTAC 9800X
garlicbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 624

The trend in wood flooring seems to be towards wider and wider boards.

One has to wonder why the 2 1/4" wide board became the standard.

In order to clarify, it sometimes helps to exaggerate a bit. I wonder if an 18" wide board would tend to warp more than a 2 1/4" board?

Are you looking for pre-finished or finish in place?

I was hesitant to use any pre-finished stuff, and I recently installed about 2000 sf of it, and I think it is fine. And I used some inexpensive stuff which I found at Menards for around $2.50 and next a different brand at HD on close-out for $1.90. They were both fine.

If you want something with a wow factor, you will surely be looking at $3.50 and up.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 678

The wider the board the far more likely it is to cup and would need to be glued and fastened down.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:13 PM   #6

I'm not married to the idea of 5" planks. I would prefer to have wider than 3" and would be totally happy with 4" if that's what it came down to.

In any case, I suppose I can see what local places I have around me. Is Lumber Liquidators decent quality? I have read many testaments stating that they would advise against them.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:17 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,238

Hi Brandofaction,

I like your thinking. I also checked Chelsea last year while looking for hardwood for my own house. Likewise, their price was too high. Being a flooring contractor I ended up buying from my distributor.

We fell in love with Somerset brand. Great quality, rivals fine furniture for its finish, I swear. It's hickory, 4" wide. Look around, let me know what you find before you buy. I might be able to help.

Jaz
Attached Thumbnails
Hardwood Flooring Product Recommendations-100_1779.jpg  

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:44 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandofaction View Post
I'm not married to the idea of 5" planks. I would prefer to have wider than 3" and would be totally happy with 4" if that's what it came down to.

In any case, I suppose I can see what local places I have around me. Is Lumber Liquidators decent quality? I have read many testaments stating that they would advise against them.
I have used Lumber Liquidators on several occasions and I find their stuff to be of excellent quality. You may want to go with engineered flooring if you are going over 4" wide.
patented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:24 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

I love the look of hickory! Nice choice. I am always a fan of using a local business. The money stays in your community.

I got lucky with my floors. I saw an ad from our local hardwood mill. They needed to get rid of a bunch of stock because the fire marshal was coming to do an inspection and their warehouse was too full. I got 3/4" solid pre finished oak in 3 1/4 width for $1/sq foot. Being flexible in my choice of flooring and not being in too much of a hurry paid off. I did my entire house and two rooms for my parents.

There are deals to be had where you don't have to go big box.
MissKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
We fell in love with Somerset brand. Great quality, rivals fine furniture for its finish, I swear. It's hickory, 4" wide. Look around, let me know what you find before you buy. I might be able to help.
Hi Jazman,

I see that Somerset Nutmeg Hickory is online at Hosking for $5.85/sqft. A store that I have been working with quoted me at $7.25/sqft.

I know that you mentioned that I should contact you before I buy. Do you have any thoughts on this? Should I seek out a place that can get me a price closer to Hosking's? I'm also open to recommended vendors in the Metro Detroit area.

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-12-2014, 09:53 PM   #11
Tileguy

Brandofaction,

Great selection. Ours, in picture above, is the color Spice in 4". This is good stuff. Regardless where you buy it you're gonna love it. Be sure it's "standard & better" grade though.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Brandofaction,

Great selection. Ours, in picture above, is the color Spice in 4". This is good stuff. Regardless where you buy it you're gonna love it. Be sure it's "standard & better" grade though.

Jaz
Thank you very much!
Old 05-12-2014, 10:35 PM   #13
Tileguy

Check to see if you've received a PM.

You're welcome,

Jaz

Old 05-12-2014, 10:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Check to see if you've received a PM.

You're welcome,

Jaz
I have, but I don't have enough posts yet to reply to it. Have it all drafted up and everything. Maybe we can just post a few more things here and I'll meet the quota. 9 more to go!
Old 05-12-2014, 10:51 PM   #15

In all seriousness, it's a little crazy that you can't REPLY to a PM if you're under 15 posts. This is torturous!

Advertisement