Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hardwood flooring over particle bd in Kitchen

I'm installing strand bamboo in kitchen +/- 500 sq ft. Existing sub flooring is linoleum over 3/4 particle board over 3/4 plywood. House was built in mid 70's. I do not want to take up particle board due to not knowing about possible asbestos in linoleum. My plan was to install felt over existing sub floor and nail through linoleum, particle board and into plywood. To do so would require a 2 1/2" nail and with the strand bamboo being a very hard wood, I'm wondering whether I'll be trying to straighten every other nail. Also whether that would even be a long enough nail to hold into the plywood.

Second option would be installing felt then install luan over felt screwing through particle board and into plywood. Then I could nail and also use some glue to install the strand bamboo. The nails would not have to reach into the plywood but help hold the hardwood and the glue would also help hold hardwood, hopefully get the best of both nailing and gluing.

Which method would be best to use or am I crazy and should another method be used?

Randy

rkirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

if the floor is flat you could use a floating click lock stranded bamboo, i just found some that's on the market now. no staples required. also, ripping up particle board and going to the subfloor can be done safely with a good respirator regardless of if asbestos is present or not

racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Well I would have to say that I am not a big fan of bamboo flooring, but especially not for wet areas. Bamboo does not react well with moisture so it can and will buckle if gotten wet so probably not the best choice for a kitchen or bathroom. Atleast you did go with the stranded bamboo which in my opinion is the better choice of bamboos. The horizontal and verticals, although bamboo is said to be very hard, can be very soft on the surface.
chollis5513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

It is not reccomended to install any hardwood over partical wood. It has no holding stength. I have done it at the customers request. I offered no warrenty. It has held up good for 8 years.
I used liquid nail and stapled every board. Again, It is not reccomended to install any hardwood over partical wood.
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote