Hardwood Flooring Mess Options - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 508

Hardwood flooring mess options

I don't know a great deal about hardwood floor, but I do know that I neither have the budget nor would it make sense to fully restore this particular floor. This is in a second floor bedroom and within a few years it will probably be torn off along with the second floor in its entirety for a remodel. In the mean time, next year carpetting over it is possible, but that's my wife talking and in my mind an area rug makes more sense to not have to put in money we're going to plan to throw away.

Anyway, the only pics I have on hand don't exactly reflect the current room since it was drywalled and repainted (by me, hence it's not professional quality, but it's adequate for the few years until the larger remodel)

Some joint compound from the drywall work and some paint from the painting has gotten on the floor, and in some areas it was smeared around by feet or shoes before it could be cleaned up. What would be appropriate for doing what can be done at little or no cost? Solvents? Scraping? Belt sander?

As a side note, the happy guy made from toilet paper was made by my 4 year old daughter. Along with my 5 year old son, they helped with the painting. I actually was pleasantly surprised how they managed not to cause a major spill or get a substantial amount of paint on themselves or eachother.

The first floor picture with the tools was from last fall when I was still working on the roof and there was a lot of rain that was leaking onto the floor. Any of the black from that has mostly cleaned up, there was a '70's shag carpet and a lot of the old black rubber padding had disintegrated and adhered to the wood floor, it has all be cleaned off but the flooring did probably suffer some water damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Hardwood flooring mess options-tp-guy-floor.jpg   Hardwood flooring mess options-floor-earlier-construction-mess.jpg  

Advertisement

Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.

Last edited by WillK; 07-14-2011 at 03:28 PM.
WillK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

joint compound will come right off with a plastic scraper and a wet cloth. denatured will take latex paint off i would test in a small spot first tho, or try a wet sponge with a scrubby on it like for doing dishes.

Advertisement

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

i would try soap and a little water first and just clean the floor really good and see whats left.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

If you are going to tear it all up anyway just paint the floor to match the walls.
Travlnman is offline   Reply With Quote