Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #1

Share |

Hardwood flooring installed with Bruce EVERBOND

The bucket of EVERBOND states "NOT to be used in the installation of solid hardwood". But this is what the contractor used on our Bella Wood solid hardwood floor. What are the ramifications/consequences of using this type of glue with solid hardwood?

Thanks,

Bob Horn

BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #2

This is not the proper way to install a solid hardwood. That said I beleive that it should hold. On large widths I glue and nail the floor. The glue keeps the floor from cupping. Therefore just glueing should work, but it was still not properly installed. Hopefully you got some kind of warrenty on the installation.

woodman58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #3

It is a acrylic base adhesive . Done a few inspections with those types of adhesives .
Complaints were cupping . I assume this was used on a concrete substrate ?

Was any moisture testing done ?
Any Calcium Chloride Testing ?
Floor Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #4

I'm sorry. I assumed the floor was wood. I did not think about being on concrete. If it's concrete more than likely the floor will fail. It may be a year or more or it could be a week. You cannot put solid wood on concrete without problems. You can call National Wood Flooring Assn. 1-800-422-4556.
They will answer any consumer questions. This way when you confront the contractor you will have facts from a reputible source, not just the internet. I would not pay for the job, if it is on concrete, until you talk to them.
woodman58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #5

I would also start a paper trail . dates of installation . tests performed by installer .
Floor Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Floor Doc For This Useful Post:
FlooringDude (02-04-2011)
Old 02-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. The original floor was a vapor barrier over the concrete slab, 3/4 plywood and then 3/8 hardwood parquet (2 1/2" x 10" strips). The old parquet was removed, another vapor barrier put down over the 3/4 ply and then a 1/4 ply srewed to the original 3/4 ply. The new 3/8 solid hardwood was installed on top of that using the Everbond.

When we first returned home we were surprised at the amount of cupping. That seems to have diminished but now some of the boards seem to be separating. Is this due to the use of a water based adhesive having caused the boards to expand as they were being put down?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 02-08-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
Pro Flooring Installer

Bella Wood has a history of being too wet to install. Was it moisture tested?
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:29 AM   #8

I seriously doubt it.

Bob
Old 01-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #9

Despite the age of this thread Hopefully the following comments will prevent the spread of mis-information.

Bruce Everbond is NOT the correct Adhesive to use for a 5/16" solid wood on concrete.

BUT when the proper adhesive IS used (Such as Bruce Equalizer(Urethane)) a glue down installation of a 5/16" solid wood IS acceptable for a concrete subfloor. See Bruce/Armstrong site for more information.

Hopefully the person who posted the question hasn't lost too much sleep. The adhesive (If it was the Everbond and not their Equalizer Urethane adhesive.) was a incorrect adhesive BUT the installation of a 5/16" solid wood over concrete IS an approved install.

Last edited by Scooter74; 01-21-2013 at 07:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Scooter74 is offline   Reply With Quote