Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Hardwood flooring installation

I have heard many do's and dont's about what surfaces are safe for installing solid hardwood and some about engineered hardwood. I am wanting to install 3/8 or 1/2 " engineered hardwod flooring. The surface currently under my carpet is a 3/4" very fine grain particle board. I had heard that NO way should you put solid 3/4" flooring over this because the nails won't hold. I understand that.
Why have I heard that I should not install the engineered wood type mentioned above with glue?? Is this in fact true? I have heard that it may be because of the formaldehyde glue used in the particle board. This stuff is 28 years old. I would think that the "fumes" would have leached out by now, even into the carpet padding. What is the real scoop on this? How can I install the new hardwood flooring?

Thanks

horsthelmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #2

Partical board is no longer rated for use for almost any flooring I can think of.
It soaks up moisture like a spong even from moisture in the air, will not hold nails, gets wet even one time and it turns to oatmeal.
It's got to come out.
Replace it with Advantec 3/4 T & G subflooring.
Your still going to have to lay down a vaper barrier, roof felt or kraft paper will work.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #3

Unhappy

Easier said than done to Replace all 2000 sq ft (of 2700 sq ft total in the house) of particle board in my house. I do not plan on putting hardwood in any normally "wet" rooms such as bathrooms, kitchens,etc. I have ceramic tile in there on top of plywood subfloor.

Also I have had little to know major spillage despite aging parents and 5 grandchildren in the house. So far no "high" spots anywhere.

There has to be a better solution!!!!!

Thanks.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsthelmut View Post
Easier said than done to Replace all 2000 sq ft (of 2700 sq ft total in the house) of particle board in my house. I do not plan on putting hardwood in any normally "wet" rooms such as bathrooms, kitchens,etc. I have ceramic tile in there on top of plywood subfloor.

Also I have had little to know major spillage despite aging parents and 5 grandchildren in the house. So far no "high" spots anywhere.

There has to be a better solution!!!!!

Thanks.
Having a solid subfloor is vital and removing the particle board would be prefered as Joecaption stated.

That's not always possible though which NOFMA itself acknowledges. You'd have to install some solid plywood over the existing particle board in creating an acceptable subfloor. THIS article states 1/2 in. but I've seen 5/8 in. and 3/4. plywood referenced. You'll need to research everything relevant to your install and prep work.

You really don't have any other options in this case...

Good luck

Last edited by Ralph III; 05-05-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Ralph III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #5

Trouble is adding and not removing would throw off all you floor to floor heights, every doorway, where the dishwasher is if you have one.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Trouble is adding and not removing would throw off all you floor to floor heights, every doorway, where the dishwasher is if you have one.
The OP stated he's not doing the kitchen nor bathrooms which are tiled, so no issue there.

From the OP's description, it sounds as if he added a "plywood" subfloor in the "wet areas" as he called it and then tiled it. If that is the case, those areas should already be quite a bit above the original particle board subflooring. He therefore should be able to make a smooth transition via t-molding reducers/transitions after adding a second subfloor and then hardwood flooring in the rest of the house.

You make a solid point though and all that is something the OP will need to consider. The OP will of course need to undercut door casings and trim some off doors in making everything work, but that's common.

Take care, Ralph

Last edited by Ralph III; 05-05-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:32 AM   #7

okay, so why not put in a floating floor with engineered wood. No glue, nails just simply put the foam underlay, click the flooring and you are done...........
Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
okay, so why not put in a floating floor with engineered wood. No glue, nails just simply put the foam underlay, click the flooring and you are done...........
I think the OP has most likely made a decision by now as he's never posted back nor given further details.

The point I was making, is that he has many options irrespective of having particle board subflooring. That would include the option of installing solid hardwood flooring as well as engineered flooring (glued/staple/floating).

It all depends on his preference and what's practicable to him.

God Bless
The Following User Says Thank You to Ralph III For This Useful Post:
Gecko (05-11-2012)
Old 05-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #9

Sorry..........sincere appologies, was sending this to a PM of a friend who called me on something related that "they" were dealing on. Totally unacceptable - I agree.

Last edited by Gecko; 05-13-2012 at 04:24 AM.
Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #10

Angry

I hope my question is not the one you considered stupid. That would be SAD. Isn't that what this website is all about ---DIY--- and if one does not know about a subject, the question might seem Naive to an "expert" like yourself. Your comment was uncalled for and juvenile.