Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #1

Share |

Hardwood Flooring Install Questions

I'm installing hardwood for the first time in a few weeks. The one room is a simple, sunken square room so I'm not concerned with the techniques to install in that space. The second room I'm installing in is an upper level room with a descending stair leading into the room. My questions relate to the install of the floor at the stair opening.

The floor is a 3/4" Oak hardwood.

I have two key questions:

1: I have purchased a matching Oak stair nose for the stair opening, however the stairs themselves are carpeted. What is the best installation method for the stair nose itself? FYI, the room I'm installing the hardwood in is currently carpeted with the same carpet as the stairs.

2: Should I start the floor install at the stair nose or along the longest unobstructed wall that is perpendicular to the floor joists and work towards the stair opening?

I look forward to your recommendations.

Lee Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #2

You need one of these at the top of the stairs.
http://www.hardwoodstairtreads.com/b...ing_tread.html

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #3

To install the stair nose itself I suggest some pl400 and a few 15 gauge nails.

The installation does not have to be started on the longest wall. If you have another wall that would allow you to make the nosing installation easier, you can start at this wall. Just use some spline if you need to change directions.
Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #4

I'm still looking for a clearer recommendation for where I should start laying the floor and what I should do when I reach the stair opening.

I've attached a drawing of the floor plan. I assume I should start at the far corner from the stairs and work towards them. What do I do when I reach them and only a partial board fits?
Attached Thumbnails
Hardwood Flooring Install Questions-loft-floorplan.jpg  
Old 11-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #5

Measure out from the longest wall to the closest point near the stair nose as possible , Snap a line parrellell to the long wall close as possible to the stair , Clean up near the stair and measure various ways to check how parrellel the stairs are to the longest wall , It will likely be close but not perfect . You can cock the stair nose a little to make it parrelell to the longest wall reference line , and then figure where the floor would start in order to meet the stair nose , start the floor at the stair nose ,Add 1/16 th inch to make sure you don't go to short , and there will be a gap , Install the First couple pieces along the stairs and then again check this against the parrelel refernce line made to the longest wall , Put the stair nose on and make damn sure before you isnatll the whole floor , Make sure you had the riser that goes under the stair nose in , If its carpet and the stairs nose goes against carpet then fine , If you do not install the top riser first , the rise usually goes under the top nose , SOOOO Then go borrow a planer from a carpenter friend and plane the to riser to 1/8 inch or so and shove it up tight ,
The moral of the story is , You set the top stair nose in place drawa line and check that b useing a tape to transfer the parrelel from the longest wal to your starting place , thenstart the first peice of wood at the nose , Nail in down . Use spline and then put the stair nose back on to make sure it all worked the way you think it should , , I have nailed the stair nose first , Then the floor did not parrelel perfect , Ther is little recourse , The fix is to nail the first pieceof floor and cock the nose a litle , it is usually not too much , but if it is , . Then it is crooked , thats life, But try to merge the difference some how between the nose and the parrelel line and not wind up with the floor runing off , Or the nose hanging off at an noticeable angle , This is life when houses are out of square , you have to hide it in the least visible place , You could also Just start at the longest wall Then deal with a small rip when you get to the nose , if Is this prefinish it is harder to hide the rip at the nose . If site finish it gets sanded flat and is less noticeable

tacomahardwoodfloors.com

Last edited by tacomahardwood.; 11-11-2012 at 09:26 PM.
tacomahardwood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #6

Is your floor going to be laid parallel or perpendicular to the stair nosing?

Do you plan to replace the carpeting on those stairs, ever? If so, it might be a good idea to not grab it with the stair nosing.
zakany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakany View Post
Is your floor going to be laid parallel or perpendicular to the stair nosing?

Do you plan to replace the carpeting on those stairs, ever? If so, it might be a good idea to not grab it with the stair nosing.
Parallel to the stair nosing.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #8

Let me try to translate what tacoma is saying (because I'm going to face this, too).

1. Place your stair nose, but don't nail it down.
2. Install your first row tongue away from the stair nosing, parallel to your 22' wall (chalk line it), just a scouch too close to your stair nose...something like 1/16 inch...that way when you install your stair nosing it will be tight against the first row of flooring rather than bottomed out on your top stair riser.
3. By "first row" I mean the first row of flooring past your stair nosing, not at any wall.
4. Insert a spline to install your nosing (because it will be groove-to-groove).
5. Continue to install toward your 22' wall.
6. Use a spline in your first row groove to install toward your 12' wall.

Did I get that right?
Old 11-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakany View Post
Let me try to translate what tacoma is saying (because I'm going to face this, too).

1. Place your stair nose, but don't nail it down.
2. Install your first row tongue away from the stair nosing, parallel to your 22' wall (chalk line it), just a scouch too close to your stair nose...something like 1/16 inch...that way when you install your stair nosing it will be tight against the first row of flooring rather than bottomed out on your top stair riser.
3. By "first row" I mean the first row of flooring past your stair nosing, not at any wall.
4. Insert a spline to install your nosing (because it will be groove-to-groove).
5. Continue to install toward your 22' wall.
6. Use a spline in your first row groove to install toward your 12' wall.

Did I get that right?
Thanks Zakany, I get what you're saying. I would love to know if others agree that this is the best route for installing the floor.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:00 AM   #10

Me, too.

I'm also a first-timer and completed a single, sunken room (start with the easy ones, eh?). I'm playing with a staircase right now, but after the holidays I'm going to finish off the lower level floors, then finish the upper floors in the spring.