Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2010, 08:15 AM   #1

Share |

Hardwood Floor Vs. Dog

new house, 2yrs old, hardwood floor in foyer/hallway. While the dog gets groomed and nails trimmed regularly, I was noticing scratches on the wood. In hopes of protecting the wood, I used an Acrylic finish from OrangeGlo to protect the floor (squeeze on...mop...dry). So now the acrylic top coat works to protect the wood from the dogs nails, however, while the wood is not being scratched, the acrylic finish is being marked by his nails....long whitish streaks....ugh. I guess if I put another coat down this would cover the marks....for a few weeks at least.

Any ideas on how to resolve this? any easy way to remove the marks, and keep my floor protected? (no....getting rid of the dog is not an option)

mahjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Tileguy

Hardwood Floor Vs. Dog

How about socks?

Large dogs and wood floors are always a problem. If it's not the scratches, it's the water dish spills and drooling if the water is kept on the floor.

Gotta live with it along with the pet hair, spotted lawn and other clean up chores.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #3

Hardwood Floor Vs. Dog

One option is to cover the hardwood with a floor covering that isn't permanent like an inexpensive laminate. The laminate will perform better with the dog and when you're ready you can remove it and live on the hardwood again.

Hardwood floors are soft but tend to develop character that suits the home over time. Either way, if the dog stays the hardwood won't look the same
rcuerrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Hardwood Floor Vs. Dog

Dog1.........hardwood 0
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:56 PM   #5

Hardwood Floor Vs. Dog

Just over 1 year ago we installed unfinisished red oak floors and finsished them on site with 4 coats of oil based Poly-urethene.

At the time we had 2 full grown Old English sheepdogs. In November they had puppies. 11 PUPPIES.

The floors are holding up awesome. clean up couldnt be easier with the smooth poly-finish. One advantage, was that we sanded and finsished on site so it is SMOOOOOOTH. Prefinsished floors have a micro bevel between each and every board. this makes room for dirt debris to get trapped and cause scratching just my opinion.

What have I done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #6

Hardwood Floor Vs. Dog

Which one should be used??? I am getting opinions from both ends...
chinacat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #7

Hardwood Floor Vs. Dog

Should I use Poly or water based finish??? Opinions vary...
chinacat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #8

Hardwood Floor Vs. Dog

Have you though about installing a handscraped or distressed floor? These come screwed up from the factory. If the dog scratches them, you wont notice it because the differing textures don't reflect the light back straight at you -- kinda breaks it up and makes it less noticeable.

Something like this: http://weshipfloors.com/flooring/elm...5-hand-scraped
clayduster71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #9

Hardwood Floor Vs. Dog

It would be cheaper to refinish the floors with poly than replace the floor.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #10

Hardwood Floor Vs. Dog

I've been advised against using OrangeGlo because it leaves a residue on your floor that is difficult to remove and hard to recoat over, as modern polyurethanes will not bond to it.

As for the dog toenail scratch issue, scratches in finish can be covered with more finish, but scratches in wood will have to be sanded out. You have several options, including using a tougher finish or putting down more rugs, even. I'm not the expert in this area, but I've found Pete's Hardwood Floors' website to be particularly helpful in answering all my questions about hardwood flooring issues (with some spunk and sass). This is an article relating to pets and hardwood floors: http://www.peteshardwoodfloors.com/W...od-floors.html.
brookeellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #11

Hardwood Floor Vs. Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookeellen View Post
I've been advised against using OrangeGlo because it leaves a residue on your floor that is difficult to remove and hard to recoat over, as modern polyurethanes will not bond to it.

As for the dog toenail scratch issue, scratches in finish can be covered with more finish, but scratches in wood will have to be sanded out. You have several options, including using a tougher finish or putting down more rugs, even. I'm not the expert in this area, but I've found Pete's Hardwood Floors' website to be particularly helpful in answering all my questions about hardwood flooring issues (with some spunk and sass). This is an article relating to pets and hardwood floors: http://www.peteshardwoodfloors.com/W...od-floors.html.
If you go with a good prefinished floor finished with an aluminum oxide UV coating, it will be much harder for the pet nails to scratch the coating. The UV cured aluminum oxide finish is many times harder than anything you can coat your floors with on site.

Add this to going with a harder species with a hand scraped texture and you have a winning pet combination. Hand-scrapes are already scratched up when you buy them - so your dog is just adding value to your floors!

Just my 2 cents worth

Discount Hardwood Floors!

clayduster71 is offline   Reply With Quote