Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hardwood floor splitting

We are putting down 3/4" x 5" Brazilian Koa (Tigerwood) flooring and are having difficulty with the tongue splitting. We have contacted the flooring company where we bought the wood and they say we need to use an 18 qauge 2" cleat, however I can't find one anywhere in stores or the internet. Has anyone else had this problem? We've tried adjusting air pressure, not hitting it hard, etc and still have the splitting problem.

We've also asked about glueing the floor down and they do not suggest it. Has anyone done that to know if it works? The manufacturer suggests not glueing the floor because of the movement. Bostitch says the glue will hold it but may void the warranty. My theory is a floor warranty is worthless anyway--they'd never pay anything--but I don't want my floor messed up.

I installed the flooring upstairs already and it crackles when we walk on it due to the splitting. Suggestions please!

cillejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Hardwood floor splitting

Set the nailer on the nailer at the edge of the tounge. See where the nail will hit the tounge. It should hit it at the top. If it doesn't see if you can get a different base for the bottom. If this doesn't work.
Do you have access to a hardwood flooring stapler? If so this should take care of the splitting. As for glueing it down, you can not glue the whole floor. You can and should glue floors of 5" and wider. Manufacturers say glue anything over 5". I have seen to many 5" floors that cup in a short time. To glue the floor use liquid nail (or similar). Just put strips every foot or so. Then place the wood in the glue. You will still need to nail or staple it.

woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,366

Hardwood floor splitting

There are two common guns used for flooring----cleats and staples --which one are you using that has split the tongues?
Old 03-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Hardwood floor splitting

Tried the staples first. Then tried the cleats. Bostik says their glue will hold it but may void the warranty.
cillejo is offline   Reply With Quote