Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #1

Share |

Hardwood floor refinishing questions....drying time/paint/furniture ??

I am having the hardwood floor crew come in to refinish the hardwood floors (with water based coats). One guy told me that it is a 3-4 day job and one one can walk on it til the last coat is dry (24 hours after last application). My main question is can I place my furniture back on the hardwoods after that 24 hour timespan?? I have a large area rug too that goes in the dining room and then my heavy furniture goes on it and around it. I am assuming that I can place it on the floors after the 24 hour period...??? I guess I figure if I can walk on it, I can put my furniture back. kwim??? The floor guy also said that the floors would be 90-95 % cured at that time. Another thing... I have painters planned to come ~36 hours after the hardwood guys leave. Would there be issues if the painters put their rossen (sp??) paper down on all floors for 5 days while they paint our interior? Would it do something to the hardwoods???

simiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #2

Hardwood floor refinishing questions....drying time/paint/furniture ??

Most waterbased finishes take 48 hours to cure. So I would wait at least that long before putting furniture down. It is also a good idea to not put down rugs for at least a week. Tell the painters not to tape their rosin paper to the floor but rather to overlap and tape it to itself.

RhodesHardwood is offline   Reply With Quote