Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-25-2007, 01:43 PM   #1
Mike Johnson

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via AIM to mikej959 Send a message via Yahoo to mikej959
Exclamation

Hardwood Floor Problems !HELP!

I have a bungalow built in 1901. The carpet is junk and the plaster walls are cracking, also there is no insulation in the walls! So my plans are to redo one room at a time. Well I started in one room tore the carpet up and I found tongue and grove hardwood floors. Now underneath that are the original hardwood floors I'm guessing. Now under that are I'm guessing the sub-floors. At first I was thinking of refinishing the hardwoods but there is about a 1"-2" gap from the top hardwood floor to the walls. It would have to get some pretty wide molding, plus there are some cracks and its not that level. So right now I'm considering pulling up both layers of hardwoods. Now should I just leave the original sub-floors or tear them out too and just do all new sub-floors and lay carpet over that? I think the reason the floor is wavy is because there are two layers of hardwoods? I'm just trying to get some opinions and see what others think.

Thanks.

mikej959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 01:54 PM   #2
Oldguy

Rewards Points: 250

It's difficult to tell what you have without any tearout. These old houses are a mystery. Many have insufficient foundations that have sunk over the years that cause the wavyness in the floors. All this can be repaired/ restored, but be prepared for anything. It is a labor of love to restore these to their granduer but well worth the effort. It will help to post some 'pitchers, we like pitchers'

ASE certified master auto tech, Retired.
Rehabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Sounds like we have similar homes. I also found hardwoods under nasty carpet in one of the bedrooms however, I realized after putting hardwoods in the livingroom, diningroom and hall that the carpet was put in to retain some HEAT. After realizing how cold the floors can get in a home with little/no insulation (in Wisconsin) I quickly decided to cover the old hardwoods (in the bedroom) up again with nicer looking carpet. Good Luck.
scuzzpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote