Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2014, 02:01 PM   #1

Share |

Hardwood floor open tread landing -- how should this look?

Need some guidance, hopefully some of you pros can point me in the right direction.

At my old house, I converted carpet steps to hardwood. It was a PITA. When we had our new house built, we paid the extra upgrades for a) Hardwood stairs and b) open treads w/ railing. This way, when the kids are old enough to not ruin floors, we can yank out the carpet, put down hardwood, and the staircase will already be done.

The package specifically stated that the landing is hardwood, but carpet was installed instead. We included that in our list of things which needed to be fixed with a new house. They came out today to fix it. I'm not happy; my wife is livid.

The work done makes the hardwood landing look like more of an afterthought than look like it was built this way, which in effect it is because the work was not done correctly the first time. Even though it's not original, it sure could look better like it was one cohesive staircase unit IMO.

Question 1 -- The first riser -- Is this considered first floor, or part of the stairs? I say it's part of the staircase and it should be a white riser. It should not be carpet.

Question 2- Shouldn't the bottom tread be proud of the (perpendicular) stringer (like all the other treads are) by about 1", instead of being 1/4" BEHIND it looking tucked away?

Can anyone provide a picture of how this should actually look? I can't find a specific picture, but I know this is not right. I tried to show all angles, but it's tough to show how it actually looks in person.

You can see on the left side the other treads hang over. The landing nosing is shallow.

Are these back-to-back moldings even normal? Or was it done because nothing was done right from the beginning so it's the only fix they could think of?

Just looks stupid.

Not as big a deal, just something I'll have to fix later. This is just lazy I guess -- cuts into profit?

Lazy I guess -- mitered returns cuts into profit.

Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #2

Would have looked better without the carpet and have it just white painted wood.
Once the carpets removed that landing tread may stick out enough.
Looks like for some reason they did a cope on the end of that base, I would have done a back cut so there was a square edge on the end.
There was no need for that 1/4 round if the floor was installed right. The flooring should have gone under the base, not up to it.
Not sure what they where thinking buy installing that base cap moulding like that, would have looked better with the outside skirt left untrimmed

Old 07-14-2014, 03:06 PM   #3

Yeah, it's crap. I'm trying to find a picture of what it should look like so that I can show the guy "Hey, this is what it's supposed to look like".
Old 07-14-2014, 03:30 PM   #4

Try a Google or Bing search on key words "staircase picture".
Just weed out the ones of bad examples like yours.
Also most company's that sell stair parts have galleys to look at.
Every single home and stair case is different so it's best to have a real finish carpenter or someone that's built staircases before working on this not the rough framing guy.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:14 PM   #5

I think I had a house full of framers with no knuckles working today. Not having much luck finding what I'm looking for.

Close but not exact.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #6

Anyone have anything? Guy is wanting to come and just throw in a small riser and be done. That's not correct.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #7
DIY staff

Be patient--a floor installer will be along soon---I'm to beat to even think this one through---Mike---
Old 07-16-2014, 06:49 PM   #8

That bad huh? LOL

I might just tell him not to come until this company an provide an example of how they do their hardwood treads.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #9
DIY staff

Yes, the stair nose should have about 1 " to 1 1/2 " overhang---as to the wood riser--that costs more money and they did not figure that into the work.

Fixing that will be some advanced carpentry--judging by the funky trim work,I doubt is that carpenter has the skills or artistic talent to fix that---

And yes,today beat me up---demoed a bathroom without my right hand guy---
Dave88LX (07-17-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 08:46 PM   #10

Just had to go backs and read some of your other post, I missed where all this was new construction.
Looked like all first time DIY remodeling to me.
He needs to go, do not give him his last draw and just let him try and sue you.
Hire someone that has a clue.
Dave88LX (07-17-2014)
Old 07-17-2014, 12:35 AM   #11

Yeah this is new construction, and they just slapped the landing in a couple days ago after ripping up the carpet. The builder's "homecare warranty" guy plans to slap a 1/2" piece of wood in place of the carpet and call it a done riser.

I Shouldn't have to hire anyone, as I already paid for this option with the builder. We'll see how tomorrow shakes out.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #12

So I complained more about everything including the stairs, and their Warranty Guy came back and "fixed" most of it. I complained hardest about the stair landing because it is still not correct.

His response:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warranty Guy
I have checked into the stair landing issue you brought up. I spoke to Annette at Charter Colors and she does not have pictures in the options books that show a landing that’s not carpeted. I also spoke to the team and here are the options we have:
Option one is to leave the carpet under the nosing. I do not believe you guys liked this option.
Option two is to remove the carpet and install a wood riser and paint it the trim color.
Option three is to remove the carpet and install a pcs of drywall to pack it out then continue the trim from the left side over to the right and but it into the base on the right side.

Let me know which option you would like to complete the landing and I’ll get this scheduled so we can complete your 1st visit list. Thanks!

My response:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
I'm having a hard time grasping the fact that there is not a single person at Charter Homes that does not have an example of how a stair landing should look in the homes that they build. I know how it is supposed to look, and I have provided pictures for you. Note that the nosing wraps in every situation, where mine does not. I've also included, for what it's worth, my floor plan which shows the hardwood nosing extending beyond the post like it should.

This upgrade is being financed for 30 years; we are not going to pay for and live with half-measures because of an error on the part of all those who either installed or checked off on the work of this stair upgrade.

I agree that it takes a bit of work to have this done the correct way -- that is why we paid for it in advance.

His response:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warranty Guy
My point with this whole situation was that we have multiple trade partners that do our trim work and every situation with landing and stair to stair areas are slightly different. Are you going to be around on Monday? I’d like to stop over and discuss this face to face so we can be looking at the landing while we are talk so we can come to an agreement on how to proceed.
JESUS!

I don't care that you use multiple trade partners. Your partners did it wrong two times, and the QA controls within your company failed to catch it, multiple times.

These are the pictures I sent him showing him how the stair nosing should look.

Even my floor plan shows an overhang.