Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2009, 07:28 PM   #1

Share |

Hardwood floor hole

Hello, I pulled up my carpet and the hardwood floor is in good condition so I wanted to refinish but I need to repair a few boards the the last home owner decided to just drill a few holes to run cable threw or something. The hole is around .5 or larger round. Instead of replacing the board is there a drill bit that I can drill a hole and use a plug from the same wood. I have several boards I saved from tiling my kitchen and dining room. How can I repair this? I have another question but first things first...

Thanks,
SoggyCashew

soggycashew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:12 PM   #2

Hardwood floor hole

You can use an inlay router bit and a circular (or any shaped) template to cut around the damage then create a plug from a spare piece of wood. Glue in the plug and sand flush.

KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:04 AM   #3

Hardwood floor hole

You can also buy a set of plug cutters and use one that fits. You just use a drill to cut the plugs out.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #4

Hardwood floor hole

Thanks for the reply's fellas! I was thinking the easiest way for me was to use a plug like Ron said. I looked in a book we had at work "Woodworkers Supply" and found some plug cutters but kinda expensive. Anyone have any luck with these and if so what brand or where was it purchased? I have 1- 3/4ish hole and 3-1/2" holes. I do have lots of boards I kept from when I took the floor out in the Dining/Kitchen out.

Thanks,
Chad
Old 04-01-2009, 06:26 PM   #5

Hardwood floor hole

Those are pretty large holes for a plug bit. I've never seen any that large.

Here's an inlay bit for a router at Harbor Freight for $9.99: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=99552

...but that doesn't help you much if you don't have access to a router.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:30 PM   #6

Hardwood floor hole

I have a router, Plunger and regular but I'm not confident using the inlay bit because I have no clue as to how to use one. I dont mess with routers very often but I do have 2 nice ones though!

Thanks,
Chad
Old 04-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #7
Civil Engineer

Hardwood floor hole

For a hole that large, you could use a hole saw to cut the board, and the next size up (1/16 larger) to cut a plug. Of course, if the hole is round, you just need to cut the plug with the hole saw. You can avoid the pilot hole in the center of the plug if you use a drill press with the hole saw bit to cut the plug, make sure the board you are drilling is firmly anchored down, then you can get a really nice plug with the holesaw.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:52 PM   #8

Hardwood floor hole

take a scrap piece of MDF or plywood and cut a hole in it slightly larger than the hole to be repaired. Nail the template over the hole with small finish nails. Take the inlay bit with the sleeve attached and cut out all the material inside the template I'd say about 1/2" deep or deeper if you want. Now, take the template and screw, clamp or nail it to a scrap piece of wood. Remove the sleeve and cut out only around the outside edge slightly deeper than you did on the floor.

Take the scrap piece you just cut to your table or band saw and cut out the plug so it is slightly thicker than the hole you are plugging. It should fit perfectly in the hole.

You don't need to cut a circle either. You can make it any shape you want.

Practice on some scrap first until you get the hang of it.

You could also always cut out the damaged board and replace the whole thing but the inlay bit is much easier.

Last edited by KHouse75; 04-01-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:12 PM   #9

Hardwood floor hole

I might have to just replace some boards due to being to close to the wall and I wouldnt be able to get a router in there.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:48 PM   #10

Hardwood floor hole

Thanks for the help! I decided to replace the boards and it was way easier than anticipated.