Hardwood Floor Gaps.... - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2015, 03:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 60

Hardwood floor gaps....

I have 4 1/2 inch maple floors that I'm refinishing that have some gaps. I made a test board and all the wood filler that I've tried has cracked. I've tried like 10 diff wood fills and wood putty's. My other option is latex caulk which I also tested on the test board but when I put poly over it, it changes color a little. Is there anything clear I can put in the seams that isn't caulk that will fill the seams?
Just looking for any suggestions on what to do to achieve the best looking results. Thx.

Advertisement

Dropgems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:17 PM   #2

Hardwood floor gaps....

Here's a pic of sanded floors with seams....
Attached Thumbnails
Hardwood floor gaps....-image.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 03-21-2015, 03:21 PM   #3

Hardwood floor gaps....

Here's a pic of the test board with poly on it over caulk and wood fill (wood fill seam has the crack)
Attached Thumbnails
Hardwood floor gaps....-image.jpg  
Old 03-21-2015, 03:53 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 3,546

Hardwood floor gaps....

Ayuh,... I doubt you'll find an Exact match,....

That's why I used black caulkin', for the maximum contrast,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,148

Hardwood floor gaps....

Dropgems:

You need to realize that wood is a natural material and swells and shrinks with it's moisture content.

In winter, the cold outdoor air contains very little humidity. When that outdoor air is drawn indoors by operating your clothes dryer, ceiling fans, heating system chimney or flue, etc., that cold dry air warms up and it's relative humidity drops even lower. Wood tries to remain in moisture equilibrium with the surrounding air, so the lower the relative humidity of the air, the lower the moisture content in your wood floor. You should keep this in mind and point it out to your guests to prove that's real wood on your floor. Plastic laminate wood planks wouldn't swell and shrink like that.

I wouldn't fill those cracks because come summer, the relative humidity of the warmer outdoor air will be very much higher, and if that air is cooled by an air conditioning system, it's relative humidity will go still higher, and your wood will absorb moisture from your indoor air and start to swell again, thereby closing up those gaps for the most part.

PS: You should know that when I say "wood swells and shrinks", that's not quite correct. It is only the wood cell walls which become thicker and thinner depending on the moisture content of the wood. The more moisture there is in the wood, the thicker the wood cell walls become up to a limit (whose name I forget right now). The more moisture in your wood, the thicker the wood cell walls become, and the wider your boards become, thereby closing up those gaps.

Because wood cells are shaped very much like drinking straws with their ends closed off, there are very many more wood cell walls as you go across the grain of a board than if you go along the grain of that board. The result is that you have very much more dimensional change across the grain of the wood from winter to summer and back again than along the grain of the wood. In fact, even in engineering calculations, the dimensional change in wood ALONG it's grain due to changes in the moisture content of the wood is most often ignored because it is so small.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 03-21-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:00 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 3,216

Hardwood floor gaps....

In addition.... in pic #1 I think I can see the planks are cupped. Tell us more about what is under that floor. Conditioned basement, crawl space?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:06 PM   #7

Hardwood floor gaps....

Thanks for the responses. Another apartment unit is under the floors so concrete with a subfloor over top. I thought about not filling the cracks. I know I'll never find a matching caulk. Some Seams are larger than others. I just need to decide if I should fill them or not. Should I just fill the large ones and not the smaller ones or would that stand out too much? Does poly fill in the cracks at all and prevent dirt and stuff from getting in the cracks?

Advertisement