Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hardwood Floor Cupping

Hi Everyone,

Wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on this one.

This past year, my 1953 house underwent an addition and major renovation. As part of it, I extended the existing 2.25" red oak flooring into the new addition. Existing house is under basement with 1x6 solid plank subflooring. New addition is crawlspace with plywood subfloor (unvented with access to basement).

The floor was installed in April, and the finishing finally occurred in early July. It looked perfect until a few weeks ago. The weather is starting to shift into the heating season (Southeast Michigan) and I'm starting to see minor signs of cupping on the addition, and also areas where we added new flooring to the old existing subfloor. I would have thought cupping would be more likely to occur in the more humid summer.

Basement is block walls with no insulation on walls or joist band areas. Crawl is vapor sealed with plastic on bottom/sides with rigid foam on the inside of the block walls. No insulation at all on the joist band areas (probably something I'll remedy soon).

We've only started using the heat on the furnace (gas forced air) a few weeks ago (humidifier not running yet as it needs repair).

House is running around 45-55% RH on the first floor at 70 deg F. Crawl is around 62 deg F and 60-65% RH.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

jimmycrackcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,108

Hardwood Floor Cupping

Did you acclimate the new flooring? And remember, acclimation has nothing to do with time, it's all about moisture content.

Last edited by rusty baker; 10-24-2011 at 12:04 PM.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Hardwood Floor Cupping

Not likely. My GC was coordinating the flooring install while my wife and I were having a baby. Figures the one time you don't double check someone.......

Any chance of a fix that doesn't require a reinstall? Would the fact that it was laid unfinished for two months matter, or is the acclimation only relevant before install?

Thanks.
jimmycrackcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,136

Hardwood Floor Cupping

I would think it could be re-finished without removing it.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,108

Hardwood Floor Cupping

I would have someone who refinishes hardwood for a living look at it. Then tell your GC what he is going to owe you.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote