Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hardwood floor adhesive removal

Good morning all,

I am in search of some advice. I recently discovered hardwood floors on the first floor of my house. 2 of the rooms just had carpet and padding over them but the third.... oh the third room... My living room had adhesive back vinyl tile under the carpet and padding. Getting that stuff out was... well... a adventure. 3 days on my hands and knees with a floor scrapper, a respirator and a heat gun. Well, three days (and a lot of Aleve and icy hot for my back)later I finally got the tile out. Then I had to contend with the adhesive. About half of the adhesive from the tiles remained on the floor. I went to Lowes and found a product called Citristrip. I used a paint roller to roll it on the floors and used the same floor scrapper (a device with a handle about 2 feet long and a long razor blade at the end) to remove a large portion of the adhesive. Again, it was very slow going. After using the hardwood safe stripper I've gone back over it several times using GoofOff.

At this point, i have gotten as much of as I can. You don't stick to it when you walk over it any more but there still seems to be a kind of shiny oily reside on the floor. No matter how much I use the scrapper I can't seem to get it off. I plan to refinish the floor in all three rooms and my concern is that the residual adhesive residue on the floor is going to gum up the pads on the sander. Can anyone offer any advice on how to remove the residue?

Thank you.

Last edited by Rollotamasi; 04-08-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Rollotamasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Hardwood floor adhesive removal

2 words:

Belt Sander

TheJerk is offline   Reply With Quote