Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

hardwood floor

I am remodeling several units of a multi-unit complex. In one of the units, it has original hardwood floor under the carpet. is it better to remove the carpet and then refinish, stain the original hardwood or install laminates as this is a rental unit. this is my first project so I'm not sure of the maintenance, longevity of either.

dycremodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

hardwood floor

It depends on the rental. Do you own it? Are we talking college kids or retirees or somewhere in between?

Total Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

hardwood floor

i do own it. they are all 2 bedroom 1 bath units. i am hoping to rent out to young professionals.
dycremodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

hardwood floor

I myself did not have much success with the longevity of the laminate. If your tenant spills and doesn't wipe up right away or use too much water mopping, the "wood" portion of my laminate separating and it looks like there are large air bubbles under portions where the seams butt up to one another. I bought a sealer made for the seams, and although they were so tight they are still hard to spot, I still put the sealer on the seams anyway. Guess what? Water can get through anything. Mine was $1.69 sq ft 3 years ago, don't remember the brand as it was a few years ago, but it started doing that in places after about 6 months. I saved nothing on that project because I honestly never expected a problem. Nobody takes care of your stuff like you do, that's for sure. I would keep with the hardwoods. My sis has a multi-unit that has hardwoods, and after 17 years, they are sprucing them up. I think that is a good investment. Depending our your area, hardwoods make it more desirable for renters as well.
FYI-VOC has changed in the polys,a nd they have to be cut with spirits. Talk to any of the manufacturers first BEFORE using. Minwax was 55 voc, and it was cut due to regulations with the EPA to 350, as they all are, making them thicker and more likely to streak. Had a HUGE problem with mine. Did in sections and it looked good, but the sun can be cruel, so after trying to fix, I ended up sanding down and recoating several times, but this time I bought quarts, as only polys over 1 gal have the voc regulation. The quarts are fine. I preped and will do my first coat tomorrow. Oil keeps a wet edge longer than water base, and it is more durable. If you can afford it, spend the money to have a pro do it. It will cost you less than laminate and the underlayment, that's for sure. Good Luck!!!
Janetp is offline   Reply With Quote