Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Hardwood and fading

I'm in the process of getting engineered hardwood installed in a house recently purchased, and the house has a lot of windows. We'd like to get a few area rugs, but I'm concerned that the inevitable fading will leave ugly lines. Is there any way to prevent this? What are some tricks I can do to minimize the effects? The wood is pre-finished with an aluminum-oxide coating. Thanks for the help!

Nathan356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

Hardwood and fading

Keep drapes or blinds pulled down, or cover windows with UV film treatments.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Hardwood and fading

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Keep drapes or blinds pulled down, or cover windows with UV film treatments.
About all you can do is try and reduce the UV ray exposure by blocking light altogether or with either or both protection in the floor coating or as suggested, with film on the windows. Putting film on the windows will extend the color of your fabrics too.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #4

Hardwood and fading

Thanks for the advice guys. Any recommendations on UV films or floor protectants?
Nathan356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Hardwood and fading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan356 View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. Any recommendations on UV films or floor protectants?
Explore online for film options. Your glass shop might be worth visiting too. One general choices will revolve around whether you want to use electrostatic cling film or something with adhesive. From there there are many options as far as reflectivity, transluscency, color, etc. And note that the stuff box stores sell tends to be so thin it tears easily.

As for floor coatings, most clear floor finishes have UV protection. Oil based are usually urethane reinforced and water based are epoxy reinforced.

BEWARE! Some pre-finished engineered (and other) flooring manufacturers will not honor any warranties if you put an additional coating over what they provide. So check to see if this is the case with your flooring or if the manufacturer recommends a coating.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

Hardwood and fading

We just picked up some that Lowe's sells, and have had good luck with it so far in the past month. Plus our cooling bills have gone down, since last month when we got hit with our heatwave here in Central IL, the A/C did not run as much. We only have it on, due to we have a Golden Retriever that stays indoors pretty much all of the time, and mom wants her "daughter" to be comfortable while we are at work.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote