DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

hardwood door thresholds

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  bubbler 
#1 ·
I'm going to be laying 5/8" hardwood (bamboo) and ceramic tile on the main floor of my home. From what I have read, I should lay the hardwood perpendicular to the floor joists. This works well in one room because then I can use a piece of the flooring in the other direction for the door jam threshold.

However, there will be another room with hardwood where the door is facing a different direction. I won't be able to run a plank between the door jam for a threshold because the floor will already be running in that direction.

Would it look weird to have two rooms with different looking thresholds or should I just run the planks in both rooms into the tile (without a plank in the opposite direction) and leave a gap for color matched caulking?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#2 ·
I have it running both ways in my house. One hallway runs parallel to the joists for ~13'. It's also running parallel thru my living room and dining room which is a ~27' stretch at max. This is white oak strip flooring, 60 years old in the living room/dining room, no obvious indication of where the joists are (due to sagging I assume). I've also seen it running two different directions in other houses, so it might be common enough to run it parallel?

I'd say as long as you have a solid & strong subfloor it won't be enough of an issue to matter. My subfloor is ~60 year old 1x12's nailed down perpendicular to the joists. If you are worried about yours, now is the best time to strengthen it.

But then again, I'm not a pro.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.