Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #1

Share |

hardwood for dogs

hey guys, we are looking at replacing the floor in our kitchen/dining room. right now its lenoleum kitchen and carpet dining room. we have 2 large dogs, both are approx 100#. while we would much rather put in hardwood floors, i understand the risks associated with dogs scratching them. i saw there are different levels of hardness on flooring and we saw a hand scraped bamboo that was the hardest available. how do you think this would hold up against the dogs? our logic was that the hand scraped look would help disguise some scratches. we also we planning on floor mats by the doors where the floor is most susceptible to scratches.

on the other hand, we know the tile would hold up, but everyone has a preference i guess, and ours is wood. if it sounds like wood would be more of a hastle than its worth, we will suck it up and do the tile. just looking for input from people who have been in our situation, thanks for reading

Jonscheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #2

hardwood for dogs

You do know they make tile that looks like wood, right?
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...tile&FORM=IGRE
For tile you have to figure out if your subflooring, underlayment, and joist are suitable for tile.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #3

hardwood for dogs

i have seen the wood look tile, but i know you can still see the grout lines, making it look fake and another reason we like the wood is because it wont be as cold as the tile will be
Old 08-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
Tileguy

hardwood for dogs

Either get rid of the dogs or go hard surface. OK, so the dogs are part of the family, so ceramic it is.

With wood floors you also have to worry about moisture and spills. I've seen a single medium size dog ruin an engineered floor in a few years. Not because of her nails, but slight drools at the water dish. Yes it was on a good size mat but dogs don't stay and wipe after drinking. A few drops every day and that ruins the finish at a few nearby boards.

Which specific type of bamboo were you considering? I think Strand Bamboo is probably the hardest at 3014 on the scale. That's very dense.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #5

hardwood for dogs

It was strand bamboo. We were hoping that its hard surface and scraped appearance would allow it to look better with the dogs "abuse". Looks like we will most likely end up doing tile now since we don't want to look at our floors with disgust in a couple of months if they are scratched badly. Just have to check the deflect o meter and make sure we are good. Thanks for your input
Old 08-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #6

hardwood for dogs

Honest question : if a dog scratches the floor, is it scratching the WOOD? Or just the finish? Buying a hard wood won't make much of a difference if the thing that gets scuffed by nails is the urethane or whatever goes on top of hardwood.

We have oak floors in our house, and three dogs (two 25lb beagles, one ~50lb mutt, so nothing on the order of yours). No real problems, either with scratches or moisture, but YMMV.

Dog hair on the other hand...sigh.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

hardwood for dogs

I have specificed products from this company and especially for clients with large dogs. I had an extra coat of finish applied and they keep it up. No problems.

http://duro-design.com/index.cfm/str...mboo-flooring/

Some of the recycled and exotic asian and indonesian hardwood products are even harder than bamboo.

The hospital and clinics where I get medical care have beautiful wood looking seamless floors. It is not the real thing of course but seems to hold up well.

Obviously, you want to keep the dog nails reasonably trim for their sake anyhow. I agree to pay as much attention to the finish as the actual flooring material as it is really the barrier between the hardness of the floor and the hardness of their nails.

You should also use the search engine for this site. This topic comes up often. I do not remember all the solutions offered or what people picked.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #8

hardwood for dogs

well today i went into my crawlspace to measure floor joists, and according to the deflection calculator, our joists wont support ceramic tile. they are 2x7.25 in (2)13' unsupported sections. im definitely not keeping the carpet and linoleum, and since we cant do ceramic we are going to go ahead and find a strand bamboo that we like and install that. thanks for the heads up everybody, i guess we are gonna roll the dice and do what we can to limit any damage we can
Old 08-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

hardwood for dogs

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #10

hardwood for dogs

TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBobmanNH For This Useful Post:
user1007 (08-14-2013)