Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Share |

hardwood and computer chairs

I am getting my floors redone in the entire house that I will be moving in, including the room that will be an office. I just realized something, the office chair will probably ruin that floor very quick.

What is something I could do to prevent this? Is there perhaps a transparent linoleum like product I can put on top? Or am I better off just not doing that floor and putting a different type of flooring?

The hardwood is the old style 1 inch wide boards and there are no gaps like newer hardwood, so it will be a flat surface with no cracks, think it will be ok as is given this fact?

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
I am getting my floors redone in the entire house that I will be moving in, including the room that will be an office. I just realized something, the office chair will probably ruin that floor very quick.

What is something I could do to prevent this? Is there perhaps a transparent linoleum like product I can put on top? Or am I better off just not doing that floor and putting a different type of flooring?

The hardwood is the old style 1 inch wide boards and there are no gaps like newer hardwood, so it will be a flat surface with no cracks, think it will be ok as is given this fact?
TTT

good thinking there.... Ruined my floor from computer chair. We just used a 5x7 rug... 1 year later 2 grooves from the wheels. We are getting a hard plastic without the nipples to put under rug. I weight 265lbs that may have helped alot

Ineedhelp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:19 AM   #3

Good advice above.

I installed hardwood in my home office last year. I purchased a 5X7 oriental rug several years ago and used it as the center piece for the room to be decorated around.

It's thick enough that the rug requires no under/over pad and the office chair rolls fine and my floor is protected.

Short of that I'd spend some time looking at all the different styles of chair rollers that are on the market. Several styles available to replace what you have on your existing chair. (Also a great excuse to by a new chair).