Hardwood Closet Threshold Question - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2008, 10:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hardwood closet threshold question

Today I started laying some hardwood flooring in one of my bedrooms and initially when I ran into my closet I thought, no problem I will create a threshold parallel to the floor joists (in the closet only, every where else I run perpendicular to the joists). Anyway I laid about 3 rows into the closet keeping about 1/2 inch for expansion on the two sides of the door threshold. But then it dawned on me. I am going to be using a bi-folding closet door and there is no room to install baseboards in the doorway because the bi-fold door will occupy this space when the closet door is closed.

I have attached a picture of where I am now with this issue found here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28693408@N02/2705497942/

I have removed the 3 rows I installed after I realized my goof. The one piece of hardwood seen in this picture actually has about 1/2" expansion on each side under the closet door jambs. But my question is for the next row of hardwood that I will install (it will occupy the space where you can see new primer paint just inside the closet). Can I install a row in this closet door threshold where there is little to no room for expansion? Once I am in the closet I can continue to leave expansion room as baseboards will be installed. But I can not install baseboard in the space that the bi-fold door will occupy.

Hopefully my explaination is as clear as mud.

Advertisement

Last edited by DIY-Renovator; 07-26-2008 at 10:09 PM.
DIY-Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Hardwood closet threshold question

Here is an update to my problem. I was able to cut the drywall and metal corner bead on the inside corner(s) of my closet and once I have finished repairing + painting the minor damage I did to my wall cutting the corner bead off, there will now be room to slide my 2nd piece of hardwood in and have room to expand.

Problem solved.

Advertisement

Last edited by DIY-Renovator; 07-27-2008 at 05:54 AM.
DIY-Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote