Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2008, 12:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Hardwood in basement

Hi there,

I just bought a house and would like to reno the basement. I am thinking of using hardwood, specifically Bamboo because I like it so much more than the floating floor products. As it is now, the basement shows no problems of dampness or mold and is dry. However, I live in Quebec City where it can get quite humid. I was told by the local Home Depot guy that installing hardwood in the basement is no problem as long as you use a dehumidifier. He also said that installing a floating floor adds no value to the house, whereas hardwood flooring does.

Can anyone give me any insight into this?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Confused in Quebec

icnrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
Tileguy

Hardwood in basement

HI Quebec,

Installing solid hardwood on and below grade is too a problem! The only hardwood that might work is engineered hardwood. They do make engineered bamboo, so it might work if you buy the right one?

It has to be glue-able type of bamboo. You need to check with the manufacturer's instructions first. You say your basement is dry. Well, dry feeling does not tell you it's dry. You have to do a moisture test with a chemical testing method or with a moisture meter to know how dry is dry. It's like saying something it's not too sweet...

You have to remember never to ask advice from those nice people wearing vests. There are exceptions, but most don't really know much about the stuff they're selling. Too much turnover of personnel and those stores rarely hire anyone with experience. "You can do it....they just take your money!"

The guy is right about laminate floors though....They add no value to your home.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:29 AM   #3

Hardwood in basement

Hey there,

Thanks for the advice. I guess it would make sense that the Home Depot guy is just there to upsell. (Not all, but most.)
icnrno is offline   Reply With Quote