Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

hardwood around stair handrail/banister?

So I'm going to be installing hardwood soon, and I've got an area of concern. (several actually, but this question addresses only one)
It's a ranch style home, and on the main floor, above and parallel to the stairs to the basement, there's a wood handrail/banister, that serves the purpose of keeping people falling down the stairwell. How are these typically mounted to the floor? On one end, it's mounted to the wall above the stairwell. However, there are three points where the rail is anchored to the subfloor.
I need to install the wood around these points, and I think if I could take the handrail out it would be easiest. Are these drilled from the bottom? Are there any suggestions otherwise?
Thanks.

Mr. Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
STAFF

Rewards Points: 32

If you could post a picture we may see what is going on. It is anyone's guess how the posts are anchored, they can go through the floor and fasten to the framing, they can notch and anchor through the base of the post, it is hard to say without being there to see and hopefully the pictures will tell. Do you have a landing tread at the base of your post?

Landing tread
Attached Thumbnails
hardwood around stair handrail/banister?-landing-tread.jpg  

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #3

Yeah, I figured it would be hard to visualize with no pictures. There is no tread involved, the posts are mounted to the subfloor at 3 areas.

Here's a poorly made diagram.

I---I---I

Where the "I"s are the posts into the subfloor and the dashes represent the balusters that run between the posts.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
STAFF

Do your posts mount to the underlayment or go through the underlayment and subfloor? Or are the posts mounted to the outside of the stairwell?

Jim
Old 10-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #5

Hopefully these pics will show better what I'm talking about. There are 2 posts, one at the top of the stairs, which appears to be toe-nailed and screwed into the subfloor. One in the middle of the banister, which may just be sitting there? And also, there's a post which seems halfway attached to the wall, I wasn't able to see any anchors to the floor on this one. It seems unlikely that the only things holding this up is the toe-nail/screw job. It's very sturdy. Are these ever bolted in from underneath, straight up through the posts?
Attached Thumbnails
hardwood around stair handrail/banister?-sam_0623.jpg   hardwood around stair handrail/banister?-sam_0624.jpg   hardwood around stair handrail/banister?-sam_0625.jpg   hardwood around stair handrail/banister?-sam_0626.jpg   hardwood around stair handrail/banister?-sam_0627.jpg  

Old 10-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
STAFF

Is the end post very sturdy with little movement? There is a chance the posts are anchored with a bolt similar to the picture below then extra screws from the outside. If you plan to remove and reinstall the system take the screws out of the post and see if it will come up easily. I would try to take it out all intact, it will sure be a lot easier to reinstall like that. You can also touch up the parts while you have the off.

If there is no bolt in the bottom of the post I would suggest installing the bolts when you reinstall. It is hard to see in the picture below but the bolt screws into the floor into a framing member and has a nut and washer on top, it does a good job.
Attached Images

Jim